buying used tesla batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying used tesla batteries

Hi all I have been working on converting a promaster 3500 extended into a RV. I received 4 model s batteries today. 5300 kw storage for each battery. I plan to run them in series and parallel giving me a 48 volt system. I have been doing a bunch of research but I am unsure of all of the components I will need. I was hoping some one with some skills could make a schematic. want to have protections from over charging or discharging to much would like to be able to plug into an ev charge station. also would like to be able to charge using alternator and or a generator.

Electrical storage is measured in KWH, not KW. It would take a locomotive to move a battery capacity
    of 4 X 5300 KWH. Bruce Roe

Comment

Don't try it. Not even DIY guys who know all there is to know about Tesla batteries would use them because they have short cycle life, too dangerous, and require thermal management in the form of both heating and cooling. Additionally you cannot access at the cell level for any battery management.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. Tesla batteries w/out their BMS and Thermal system, are firebombs waiting to go off.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by off grid van man View Post
          Hi all I have been working on converting a promaster 3500 extended into a RV. I received 4 model s batteries today. 5300 kw storage for each battery. I plan to run them in series and parallel giving me a 48 volt system. I have been doing a bunch of research but I am unsure of all of the components I will need. I was hoping some one with some skills could make a schematic. want to have protections from over charging or discharging to much would like to be able to plug into an ev charge station. also would like to be able to charge using alternator and or a generator.
          Not sure what you want to do here.

You want to make an RV into an EV? Or just use a J1772 charger for your RV's house battery? That's somewhat problematic given than RV slots do not have J1772 chargers; they have 120/40 volt outlets.

You want to use old Tesla packs? If so you will need to integrate a BMS and a cooling system into them. These are not off the shelf items. If you are "looking for a schematic" you will likely not be able to add them without a lot of work.

You want to charge from the alternator? Of all the things you want to do that's the most reasonable. 12V to 48V converters are pretty straightforward and available off the shelf.

Comment

Check out Jack Rickard at EVTV. Also., there is a US congressman that used a complete set of Tesla batteries (85 kw) in his home. Check his YouTube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by gpearce52 View Post
              Check out Jack Rickard at EVTV.
              This is laughable. Jack Rickard is a very good Electrical Engineer capable of designing and building a system. A DIY does not know the difference between a transistor and a queer electron that blows fuses. A Democratic Congressman know less than a DIY about energy. They believe energy is free and everyone is entitled to free power, housing, food, education, sex, and healthcare. So when Jack designed the system for a Congressman, both were tickled pink because Jack gave him a Pink Feather to tickle himself Pink, while Jack laughed all the way to the bank with your money the Congressman used to pay Jack off with.

FWIW Jack does not believe in a BMS and does not use them. Jack knows the BMS is the number one killer of Lithium batteries. Jack is strictly Bottom Balance guy.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Here is congressman Massie's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPYkqpe-Ms

Rickard has a working BMS for the Model S Tesla batteries. It is used by congressman Massie.

Comment

Working...
                X