Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halfmonkey
    • Oct 2013

Thinking about adding Powerwall 2 batteries

We've had our PV system fsince Feb 2014 and am now interested in maybe adding a battery or two to our system. The specs for our PV system is as follows: We have 21 Sunpower 327 panels connected to a Sunpower 6000m inverter. Our system size shows to be 6.87kW. Other information include the 21 panels @244 degrees AZ with 18 degree tilt.

Going on Tesla's website, it's estimating that we should have 2 batteries. We're on the SDG&E grid.

It looks like the SGIP rebate is currently in step 2 or maybe step 3 so this will help offset some of the cost. Does anybody know if the rebate is per battery or for one install?

I've been out of the solar/pv loop for a while since after I installed our system, I just kind of forgot about it which I guess is how I expect the PV system to operate so forgive me if I'm leaving some key details out.

Please let me know what your thoughts are or if I'm missing something, please let me know so that I can add it to my consideration in determining if adding a battery or two is right for us.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Batteries do not work with string inverters. Panels would need rewire, a new inverter purchased, charge controllers purchased, wires, boxes, breakers and of course, a mountain of batteries - which you get to replace every 6-8 years.

Just get a decent generator, have a transfer switch wired in, and you are way better off.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Kingram
      • Sep 2017

Can I add a Powerwall to my existing solar system?
      Yes, Powerwall can be integrated with your existing solar system. Powerwall is compatible with solar inverters from SMA, SolarEdge, Fronius, Enphase micro inverter, Delta and ABB. We continue to explore compatibility with other inverter companies
      9.36 grid tied, Phoenix Arizona

Comment

• montreid
        • Apr 2016

SDGE is closed for step 3 already (lasted all but 7 days - large surge due SDGE's shift of TOU peak to the evenings). Step 4 hasn't opened. Rest of Cali is still in Step 2 -- PGE monster slow laggers.

Powerwall 2 now has its own inverter so can use with ANY PV system as it will sit between the array house and meter. PW1 was different and sat behind the inverter and relied on the SolarEdge inverter to do the work. Not anymore.

Comment

Working...