Grid Tied Inverter Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grid Tied Inverter Opinions

I am looking to get an inexpensive grid tie inverter. I dont want something as cheap as the Chinese ones, but I dont want to break the bank either. Any recommendations? I am going to be between 1500-2000 watts.

If you live in the US or Canada there really aren't any legal grid tie inverters at that wattage range.

You would also need to get approval from your POCO concerning any grid tie inverter that is connected to their power distribution system. You might want to start by asking your POCO what they recommend.

Comment

Microinverters are good for small systems, or the Fronius Galvo series if you prefer a string inverter. Anything grid-tie will need proper approvals to get sign-off by the power company, which is another reason to avoid the super-inexpensive knock-offs that you can find.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by dokken5 View Post
        I am looking to get an inexpensive grid tie inverter. I dont want something as cheap as the Chinese ones, but I dont want to break the bank either. Any recommendations? I am going to be between 1500-2000 watts.
        IMO you need to figure out what your goal is.
        Then design your system for that goal.

1.5-2kW is a very small system.
        Why are you going that small?

At that size, microinverters might be the most cost-effective (while safe) choice.
        But in your shoes I'd seriously look at whether that's the right size for you - or if you're better off doing 3kW+

Comment

Does PV-Powered still make the 1,100 watt & 2,000 watt Grid-Tie (UL) units?

Comment

The previous generation of SMA Sunnyboys are still being closed out at very low prices by some distributors. They are still very good units with dual MPPT inputs, but without built in internet capability however a much nicer display than the new ones.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post

1.5-2kW is a very small system.
              Why are you going that small?
              Because that is all the space I have for my panel setup

Comment

Because that is all the space I have for my panel setup
                Not clear what you mean.

All the space in electric panel?
                Roof space for solar modules?
                Ground space for solar modules that are ground mounted?

I'm going to guess you meant roof space.

2kW would be only 6 of 325W modules.
                That's a really small array.
                That's only ~100 square feet of area, (less than the floor space of one room in a typical house)

I've camped in tents with more floor space than that.

Are you sure that you're really that space limited?

Comment

Not clear what you mean.

All the space in electric panel?
                  Roof space for solar modules?
                  Ground space for solar modules that are ground mounted?

I'm going to guess you meant roof space.

2kW would be only 6 of 325W modules.
                  That's a really small array.
                  That's only ~100 square feet of area, (less than the floor space of one room in a typical house)

I've camped in tents with more floor space than that.

Are you sure that you're really that space limited?
                  Yeah, I am putting them along a wall in my backyard. I only have room for 6-8 of them. I have a few, but they are 280w.

Comment

Yeah, I am putting them along a wall in my backyard. I only have room for 6-8 of them.
                    I think Solaredge requires at least 8 modules.
                    String inverters will have a minimum number too (maybe 6, will definitely depend on the inverter make/model and the modules)
                    So I think microinverters (Enphase) are what you'll wind up doing.

Good luck.

Comment

I think Solaredge requires at least 8 modules.
                      String inverters will have a minimum number too (maybe 6, will definitely depend on the inverter make/model and the modules)
                      So I think microinverters (Enphase) are what you'll wind up doing.

Good luck.
                      I agree that micro's seem to have replaced the low wattage grid tie inverters. Probably due to the cost of building 1000w to 2000w inverter being almost as expensive as the larger ones at 5000watt.

Whatever a homeowner decides to use based on their system pv wattage please make sure you follow all local codes and rules set down by the POCO and AHJ before you connect to the grid.

Comment

Working...
                      X