Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price gouging Puerto Rico ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Price gouging Puerto Rico ...

    Price gouging in Puerto Rico ( who didn't see that coming? )

    $12,000 to install a PowerWall that should cost between $6,000 - $8000 installed.
    I do not see any Solar Panels on the Sales Order, so just "battery backup" when the grid is down?

    Elon Musk states, "Tesla always charges the same price for a PowerWall"

    https://electrek.co/2017/10/06/tesla...g-puerto-rico/

    Elon Musk and Puerto Rico Governor to talk today about ways for Tesla Energy to rebuild destroyed grid
    https://electrek.co/2017/10/06/elon-...ed-power-grid/

    But really, their Grid was severely neglected for many years, long before these hurricanes arrived.
    Last edited by NEOH; 10-12-2017, 12:15 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by NEOH View Post
    Price gouging in Puerto Rico ( who didn't see that coming? )

    $12,000 to install a PowerWall that should cost between $6,000 - $8000 installed.
    I do not see any Solar Panels on the Sales Order, so just "battery backup" when the grid is down?

    Elon Musk states, "Tesla always charges the same price for a PowerWall"

    https://electrek.co/2017/10/06/tesla...g-puerto-rico/

    Elon Musk and Puerto Rico Governor to talk today about ways for Tesla Energy to rebuild destroyed grid
    https://electrek.co/2017/10/06/elon-...ed-power-grid/

    But really, their Grid was severely neglected for many years, long before these hurricanes arrived.
    I thought Tesla was going to donate both panels and batteries to Puerto Rico. I guess that is just an advertising stunt to get attention while they charge that poor county an arm and a leg to use his stuff.

    What I did see in another article was that the system being provided was going to cost somewhere around $250 million yet only provide power for about 15,000 homes when there are over 1,000,000 homes on that island. That 15,000 homes is not going to put much of a dent into the power loss.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

      I thought Tesla was going to donate both panels and batteries to Puerto Rico. I guess that is just an advertising stunt to get attention while they charge that poor county an arm and a leg to use his stuff.

      What I did see in another article was that the system being provided was going to cost somewhere around $250 million yet only provide power for about 15,000 homes when there are over 1,000,000 homes on that island. That 15,000 homes is not going to put much of a dent into the power loss.
      I have read ...
      Elon Musk has personally donated a 1/4 Million Dollars.
      Tesla is shipping PowerWalls to families that have working or repairable Solar Arrays = off-grid AC power.
      They did not say whether the Powerwalls were being donated or sold.

      If they had that Direct Drive (No Battery Required) Refrigerator + 2 PV Panels, their life would be much better.
      It would be very difficult for me to live 30 days without any refrigeration.
      The government and the electric company have completely failed to maintain their Electric Grid.
      Now, 85% of the people demand that their AC Power be restored within 30 days - not going to happen.
      Most of the population was either unaware, procrastinated or are too poor to prepare to be self-sufficient.
      Worst case scenario is four (4) more months, March 1st, until the last person gets AC Power restored.
      Last edited by NEOH; 10-13-2017, 10:45 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NEOH View Post

        I have read ...
        Elon Musk has personally donated a 1/4 Million Dollars.
        Tesla is shipping PowerWalls to families that have working or repairable Solar Arrays = off-grid AC power.
        They did not say whether the Powerwalls were being donated or sold.

        If they had that Direct Drive (No Battery Required) Refrigerator + 2 PV Panels, their life would be much better.
        It would be very difficult for me to live 30 days without any refrigeration.
        The government and the electric company have completely failed to maintain their Electric Grid.
        Now, 85% of the people demand that their AC Power be restored within 30 days - not going to happen.
        Most of the population was either unaware, procrastinated or are too poor to prepare to be self-sufficient.
        Worst case scenario is four (4) more months, March 1st, until the last person gets AC Power restored.
        It does look bad for the people of Puerto Rico. I hope the solar and batteries help out those that really need it but my guess is that equipment will probably go to the richer side and not the poor.

        Sad to say but the local government and POCO did not do enough to prevent this catastrophe even though the odds were high that there will eventually be a hurricane like Maria.

        Comment


        • #5
          "...
          Can (or will) Tesla pay for this all itself? No.

          Tesla is not a charity.
          As shown above, the amount of solar and storage is an order of magnitude above what it has delivered to date.
          There is no reason to think that Tesla can, will, or should pay for all of this.
          A quick demonstration in preparation for a decade or two of transformation?
          ..."
          https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/14...to-ricos-grid/

          The Governor of Puerto recently stated ...
          "Our archaic Electrical Grid should be repaired and upgraded by the Fed Gov't, to what we need, not what we had."
          Last edited by NEOH; 10-22-2017, 01:39 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NEOH View Post
            "...
            Can (or will) Tesla pay for this all itself? No.

            Tesla is not a charity.
            As shown above, the amount of solar and storage is an order of magnitude above what it has delivered to date.
            There is no reason to think that Tesla can, will, or should pay for all of this.
            A quick demonstration in preparation for a decade or two of transformation?
            ..."
            https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/14...to-ricos-grid/

            The Governor of Puerto recently stated ...
            "Our archaic Electrical Grid should be repaired and upgraded by the Fed Gov't, to what we need, not what we had."
            Well for that to happen I would expect my Federal taxes to go up to cover the cost of rebuilding that entire nation.

            It is a shame that the local government did not put the money that they collected from the Puerto Rican people toward improving their infrastructure.

            And why did they let their POCO fail? That seems criminal.

            Comment


            • #7
              Same reason the Feds rebuilt a city below sea level after it's dike failed during Katrina I suppose.

              Comment


              • #8
                So what is your point? Nothing illegal or immoral going on here. Elon Musk is the largest crook and fraud in the USA. Look it does not matter what you think, it is what it is? I belong to a small Investment Group, an small high profit margin biz with little risk. We buy things like Toilet Paper, Generators, MRI's Chain Saws, bottle water, fuel cans, batteries and anything else you might need for storm disasters. We rent 4 U-Store-It facilities located in TX, AR, TN, and GA. When a storm hits we load up trucks and go to the area and sell it. Mark up is 200 to 400%

                We are just one group out of hundreds. Invest $50K today, and in a year or two cash out at $200. Easy peasy. As for me we use some of the supplies when we go and participate in storm recovery. So what seperates me from Musk? Simple when I wrap up, I give it all away to the needy. Musk is there fo r1 reason only. MONEY, he could care less about the people.
                MSEE, PE

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                  So what is your point? Nothing illegal or immoral going on here. Elon Musk is the largest crook and fraud in the USA. Look it does not matter what you think, it is what it is? I belong to a small Investment Group, an small high profit margin biz with little risk. We buy things like Toilet Paper, Generators, MRI's Chain Saws, bottle water, fuel cans, batteries and anything else you might need for storm disasters. We rent 4 U-Store-It facilities located in TX, AR, TN, and GA. When a storm hits we load up trucks and go to the area and sell it. Mark up is 200 to 400%
                  .
                  That sounds like a good idea, but you might want to be careful about the "bottled water, batteries, and anything else". At least in Texas, you aren't allowed to price gouge critical goods like food/water/fuel/medicine and other things that may be deemed necessary for survival.

                  If you sent a truck full of water bottles and GENERATORS down to Texas after Harvey and were selling them at a 400% markup, that most definitely violated the law. The AG might not prosecute you, but it is illegal.



                  https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cpd/price-gouging
                  Last edited by pucksr; 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NEOH View Post
                    The Governor of Puerto recently stated ...
                    "Our archaic Electrical Grid should be repaired and upgraded by the Fed Gov't, to what we need, not what we had."
                    Bingo and that is the core root of the problem. Liberals thinking the government should do this with other peoples money. Guess what customers were the last to have power restored in TX, LA, AL, and FL? It was the folks on Electric Coops. Privately owned utilities were fully restored in a short period of time. People on Coops pay more, and have lower levels of service.

                    To make things really hard on the people of Puerto Rico is their government incompetence and Liberal POV as clearly stated by the Governour of PR. Think of what he said. He clearly said we are not doing anything and expecting someone else to do the work and supply the money. That is exactly why my company refused to go to PR. St Thomas and St Martin Islands was hit a lot harder than PR. St Thomas and St Martin are for the most part restored already. Those two Islam\nds are a lot further away than PR from supplies.

                    It made me sick when I heard the press saying the USA government was to slow to react to PR. Anything to bash Chump with. The responsibility lies directly on PR government. St. Thomas government contacted FEMA two days before the storm hit to ask for help and supplies. Materials and man power was on its way before the storm hit coming out of Tx and La ports. Pr did not do anything until after the storm hit and waited days before they officially called FEMA and asked for help.

                    Can you spell INCOMPETENT? PR got exactly what they asked for. Breaks my heart to say that, but it cannot be fixed until correct the incompetence. PR government may very well fall. They should be replaced by Vote, and if they do not relinquish power by Vote, then remove them with a Sword.
                    Last edited by Sunking; 10-23-2017, 03:07 PM.
                    MSEE, PE

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X