Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use whatever charge controller you want with a hybrid inverter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use whatever charge controller you want with a hybrid inverter?

Can I just purchase a hybrid inverter with the correct input/output and power specifications for a system online and use it in a system that uses MPPT CC's and batteries or does the MPPT CC and hybrid inverter need to be specified as compatible with each other.

For example, would using a MPPT CC that outputs at 48 volts DC as the input to a random 48 volt battery bank and random hybrid inverter function correctly? What about for a much bigger system of like 80 [kW]. Would it still work if I just put a bunch of the MPPT CC's in parallel?

It works, and I'm doing it off grid. XW-6048 inverter, Midnight Classic Solar Charge Controller & Morningstar Solar Charge controller.

Only problem would be if you are gird-tied and are running a generator in a storm, and the inverter thinks the batteries are full, and sells your generator power to the grid. Just watch the sell point settings and your generator charge settings.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Is this grid tied or off grid?
      If you are doing something of 80kw you are going to want to get CC that can talk to each other and inverters that can stack.
      something like 4 to 8kw is doable with different parts that do not communicate, you just have to insure that the settings for each CC matches and that the settings for the inverter match ; especially bimodal inverter / chargers as you don't want the inverter fighting the CCs.
      it is certainly simpler to have them all communicating with each other and use a single programming interface such as the outback mate3
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
        Is this grid tied or off grid?
        If you are doing something of 80kw you are going to want to get CC that can talk to each other and inverters that can stack.
        something like 4 to 8kw is doable with different parts that do not communicate, you just have to insure that the settings for each CC matches and that the settings for the inverter match ; especially bimodal inverter / chargers as you don't want the inverter fighting the CCs.
        it is certainly simpler to have them all communicating with each other and use a single programming interface such as the outback mate3
        I'm glad you brought this up. I'm looking into grid interactive inverters as I am looking at a system that uses MPPT CC's and grid interactive inverters to charge the batteries, run loads, and sell any excess (not used for loads or battery charging) back to the grid.

One of my concerns is how the hybrid inverters would handle being hooked up to more PV panels than they are specified for. For example, what would happen if I hooked up 80 kW of PV panels and MPPT CC's to 56 kW of stackable hybrid inverters and a battery bank. Once the batteries got full, would my inverter get damaged or would it just only invert 56 kW and be okay?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMechE View Post

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm looking into grid interactive inverters as I am looking at a system that uses MPPT CC's and grid interactive inverters to charge the batteries, run loads, and sell any excess (not used for loads or battery charging) back to the grid.

One of my concerns is how the hybrid inverters would handle being hooked up to more PV panels than they are specified for. For example, what would happen if I hooked up 80 kW of PV panels and MPPT CC's to 56 kW of stackable hybrid inverters and a battery bank. Once the batteries got full, would my inverter get damaged or would it just only invert 56 kW and be okay?
          bimodal (hybrid) inverters are not "specified" for any amount of PV modules. The inverter works form the batteries. The CC has a PV specification though.

In your example if the system is well integrated and communicating, nothing. The batteries would be charged and topped off. the inverters would invert as much as they can, and the CC would just throttle back to the demand. I would suggest that you look into using an integrated solution like from OutBack with the Radian inverters can stack nicely and the Mate3 will program and control it all.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

I went with Morningstar TS-MPPT-600 charge controllers and an Outback Radian 8048. Outback doesn't make a 600V charge controller, so there was no option for a CC that communicated with the inverter. I don't think it makes any difference; the charge controller adjusts its output strictly based on voltage at the battery terminals. If you are drawing current from the battery, that voltage will go down and the CCs will provide more current (to the extent they can) in an effort to maintain the absorption or float stage they're in. For the Morningstar CC, having the battery voltage drop below float--where the CC just can't keep up with demand--for a cumulative 60 minutes will put it back into bulk stage.

Comment

Working...
            X