• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Raul
    Yes , you explained it better , mines with 3 AC's
    The one you specified has only TWO AC connections. One for the Grid side and one for the load side.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bendesa1962
      Hello All

I would like to thank all of you for participating in this discussion.

For my explanation and questions see the attached simple diagram please.
      As I understand the explanation of ButchDeal and Sunking the situation is like this:
      # 4 The AC Output (Backup) needs to be connected with a subpanel, actually a completely separated circuit. In case of grid dropout the Inverter will feed the power via the # 4 AC Output of the inverter to the separated circuit. So actually you need to wire an extra circuit in your house.

What I don t understand about this situation is the following:

The separate circuit, or Emergency Breaker Panel as Sunking calls it, runs for example only the freezer, two lights and an outlet. But the freezer normally is connected to Power Group 2 of the subpanel. You can't connect the Emergency Breaker Panel to the freezer in the power group 2 because then the seperation will shortcut.

So what do you do when the grid drops out? You plug the freezer from the outlet of Power Group 2 to the outlet of the Emergency Breaker Panel?
      That sounds weird isn't it?

The explanation of inetdog sounds more practical. As far as I understood the post of inetdog it works like this:

As long as the grid is functional the internal AC Switch in the inverter is connected with the AC Grid connection # 1. When the grid drops out the internal AC Switch automatically switches to the # 4 AC Output on the hybrid inverter. The # 4 AC Output on the inverter can be connected to the subpanel so during dropout all appliances from Power group 1 and 2 can run on the batteries as long as they have enough capacity.
      This sounds practical and makes sense to me although I also have a question about this situation. When the grid drops out and the internal AC Switch in the inverter switches to the # 4 AC Output via the subpanel that means that AC Power can be fed into the grid. This can lead to a dangerous situation because the Utility company thinks the grid is out of power so safe to do maintenance, but the Hybrid inverter can feed power into the grid. OnGrid inverters switch of automatically when the grid drops out to avoid this situation. How will this be avoided?

I hope to receive some more replies on my post. Thanks in advance

your drawing is ALL WRONG. do not do this.

your inverter will connect its grid and load connections together allowing power to flow from the grid to the sub panel 3
      you do not want to unplug the fridge and replug it in at different times.
      you do not want the power group 2 connected the to the sub panel under sub panel 1. you want power group 2 connected to sub panel 3.
      It is all in the manual.

Comment

• Raul
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

No , it has 1AC in for grid or genny and 2AC out . When grid is down only one AC out is active.

Comment

• Raul
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Grid or genny , one at the time. In my case genny as I don't have grid.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

No , it has 1AC in for grid or genny and 2AC out . When grid is down only one AC out is active.

yes they are labeled in and out but they are actually internally connected when the grid is working. This is how bimodal inverters work.
            Thus AC1 is attached to AC2. The inverter feeds into ac2 but AC2 is attached to AC1

not sure why you stated that it had 3 AC connections.
            Last edited by ButchDeal; 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Raul
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Victron multiplus 1ac in , 2ac out to the loads. Thats why I said 3 AC's .

Comment

• ButchDeal
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Victron multiplus 1ac in , 2ac out to the loads. Thats why I said 3 AC's .
                I am not familiar with that inverter but it would seem strange to have two separate AC outputs.

On most bimodal inverters there are 2 or 3 AC connections. With one being dedicated to load (out put), one for GRID with input/output
                and if there are three the third would be input only for generator. Two outputs would be strange.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

I was under impression that a bimodal has 2 AC out . One is active while AC IN is life and the other AC out is tripped by internal ATS to inverting mode taking power out the batteries when AC IN (grid/genny) is interrupted . In inverting mode does not feed back into the grid as long as this option is set in the inverter menu. That's how mine works.
                  My guess is that your inverter is not the same as the small one the OP is using. That one has limited uses and IMO it is too small to run the whole house.

Comment

• rogerdw
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

Use a whole house generator sized to handle the entire loads of a home.
                    Ok ... thank you. That explains it.

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by ButchDeal

your drawing is ALL WRONG. do not do this.

your inverter will connect its grid and load connections together allowing power to flow from the grid to the sub panel 3
                      you do not want to unplug the fridge and replug it in at different times.
                      you do not want the power group 2 connected the to the sub panel under sub panel 1. you want power group 2 connected to sub panel 3.
                      It is all in the manual.
                      Hi Butch,

Thanks for your remarks. Unfortunately it's not in the manual, otherwise I would not be on this forum. So according to your remarks subpanel 3 needs to be connected with Power Group 2 right? And subpanel 3 is connected with the inverters AC Output #4. So if the grid is functional subpanel 3 / power groep 2 will be fed by the grid via the inverter is that right? I'm confused by that because I thought AC Output # 4 is only activated in back up mode so when the grid is not active? See my new attached drawing. Many thanks for participating. I do appreciate that a lot. THANKS!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ButchDeal
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

It is in not he manual.
                        You are confused because you hold on to miss conception on AC output #4; Ac output #4 is active all the time
                        where it gets power is configurable

http://www.frankensolar.eu/download....f-207fce7ef597
                        Last edited by ButchDeal; 01-24-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2016

Hi Butch! Yes that is a misunderstanding of me. Thanks for clearing it up for me. So actually my drawing is correct now right? Realy many thanks mate. If I would live in the neighborhood I would buy you a coffee or a beer (-:

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Yes the new drawing is right though there are fuses etc that need to be set right. I hope you have a certified electrician installing this all

Comment

• Bendesa1962
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2016

Butch,yes I do understand about the fuses disconnects end so on. It will be installed according to Australian Regulations. I live in Indonesia,no regulations at all (-:

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by Bendesa1962
                                Butch,yes I do understand about the fuses disconnects end so on. It will be installed according to Australian Regulations. I live in Indonesia,no regulations at all (-:
                                We're saying this, because there are many things involved that are not covered in book learning. Like the proper torque for the screws on the wire lugs, and re-torque the next day, There is a very real reason for the torque values which differ according to Mfg and wire size,
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...