Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • somawheels
    • Jan 2015

need help isolating/fusing generator

I need an isolator and 32a trip/fuse between a generator and inverter.
    The generator makes 240v AC current; Im not sure which of the wires (live, neutral, earth) must be isolated, and which must be attached to a breaker.
    Thankyou for reading.
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Isolator? No such thing exist. You need a Transfer Switch, and if you have to ask, you have no biz messing with it. Get professional help.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• somawheels
      • Jan 2015

This is the last and only thing I need help with, everything else about my setup is clear to me. That's why i came here, rather than to a professional, However, I will get a professional to look at it and give it the OK.
      Isolator? It isolates the power source, so i call it an isolator, I did this purposely because because I may have been able to use the breaker as an isolator depending on its wiring.
      I assume all 3 wires need to be in the switch. I don't know if the live and neutral or just the live need to be in a breaker.
      Last edited by somawheels; 06-19-2016, 06:10 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

A breaker is not an isolator, unless it is 2 breakers with an Interlock. You need a Transfer Switch rated for your loads.
        Google "breaker interlock kit"
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• somawheels
          • Jan 2015

Thankyou, I just ordered a 3 pole switch yesterday. can i just put a breaker on the live/line side of the circuit? Could be safer if I got an RCD but I already have one of those between the inverted and load.

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by somawheels
            Thankyou, I just ordered a 3 pole switch yesterday. can i just put a breaker on the live/line side of the circuit? Could be safer if I got an RCD but I already have one of those between the inverted and load.
            You need a "double throw" switch so that there is no switch position such that the generator and the utility power are both connected to the load at the same time.
            Doing this with two separate single throw switches, requiring you to remember to open one before closing the other, is not safe nor is it legal.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• somawheels
              • Jan 2015

Thanks for the warning, no worries though as i don't have utility - im offgrid.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

In this case the inverter and the generator are still two sources that you do not want to ever interconnect. You would damage one or both if you do.
                (Unless you have a more expensive hybrid inverter with a generator support feature.)
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

It's alright, only his generator and his inverter that will be unhappy. Label the switch " MAX SMOKE "

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• somawheels
                    • Jan 2015

...It does have a generator support feature, and will automatically switch between generator and batteries/solar as the power source.
                    To clean up this thread: I require a simple on/off 3 pole switch with an RCB between generator and inverter. If your inverter does not seamlessly switch between your two power sources, you need a "double throw" (or 3 position) switch so only one of the power sources can supply the load at one time.
                    You might use a 2 position switch with no off position (if you don't need this switch to isolate both your powersources, but only switch between them)

Thanks for your help
                    Last edited by somawheels; 06-23-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Working...