X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zohaib
    • Apr 2015

Battery Backup Calculations

Hello,

I want to design 1 to 5 KW solar systems. How we calculate battery backup and inverter which suits for these systems.
    This is about general solar system from 1 to 5 KW (residential systems).

Regarding battery backup if we want 5 hours, 8 hours and 10 hours backup for 1 to 5 KW systems. Then how we calculate this thing. Kindly tell me method how we do these calculation and which can also be used for bigger systems.

• SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

The battery system is not designed around the pv solar wattage but by your daily watt hour usage. If you determine you will need xx # of watt hours in a 10 hour time period then you can calculate your battery system size. Once you have determine the battery system you calculate how many pv watts you need to recharge the battery each day.

To get the most out of a FLA battery system you really should never discharge it more than 25% a day. And to charge it back up you will need an amperage amount about 1/10th the battery Ah rating.

So as an example a 5000 watt pv system can deliver about 104 amps for a 48volt battery system (5000watt / 48volts = 104amps). That would require it to be about 1000Ah.

Comment

• zohaib
      zohaib commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response. Let say our daily watt hour requirement is 5000 watt-hr/day and 12/24 volt battery system . So how we calculate battery backup requirement for 5 or 10 hours.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

You really can't set up a system based on a good day but based on a couple of bad or sunless days in a row.

So to keep from draining a battery more than 25% you calculate one to handle 4 times your daily watt hour needs.

A 5000 daily watt hour usage will require a battery bank ~ 850Ah at 24volt ( 5000w x 4 / 24v = 833 Ah). The will require an 80 Amp MPPT CC and ~ 2000watt of pv.

If you go with a 48volt battery you can get away with a small MPPT CC and keep the wire size down. Both actions will save you some money.

Comment

• zohaib
      • Apr 2015

Thanks for your help again. How you calculate these values 80 Amp MPPT CC and ~ 2000watt of pv.
      And please tell me if we want 6 hours battery backup times in a day so how we calculate this using above figures.

Comment

• zohaib
        • Apr 2015

Actually i have just started working in this area. So if you can explain steps in more details then it will be vary helpful for me to understand.
        Thanks

Comment

• zohaib
          • Apr 2015

I am sharing an example below it will be very kind if can explain this with this example also . Let say our Total watt hours requirement is 19 kw hour per day.Please correct me if i am wrong somewhere.
          Appliances Watts Quantity Total Watts Hrs/day run Total Watt- Hrs
          Fan Ceiling 100 6 600 9 5400
          Energy savers 30 18 540 6 3240
          Laptops 60 7 420 9 3780
          Printer 500 1 500 1
          (Hr max)
          Refrigerator 500 1 500 12(With Full load) 6000
          Total 1190 33 2560 37 18920
          Power Consumption:
          Total Watts=2600 W.
          Total Watt-Hrs= 19 KWHRS per day= 19 units per day
          Multiply loss factor = 19000 x 1.3 = 24700 Watt-Hours per day
          Lets sayTotal peak hours = 5
          Total watts generated = 24700/5 = 4940 W

If we use 250 W solar panels = 4940/250 = 19 Panels required.
          Inverter size:

TOTAL WATT- of all appliances = 2600 W
          Total Load watts = 2600 x1.3 = 3380 Watts

Lets say we are using 200 AH, 12v batteries with 50% depth of discharge so how we calculate if we require battery backup of 5 and 10 hours. Wait for your kind response.

Comment

• Technologist
            Technologist commented
            Editing a comment
            Many of the loads posted are probably grossly off. The first thing I would do is run out and buy a killowatt meter and a digital clamp meter and measure all those loads over time. The energy savings you'll get by owning them will pay for them in mo time. You might find your fridge takes half or take double the energy per day yet the printers might only take 50 watt hours instead of 500. Also after cleaning the condenser coils on my fridge it's energy usage dropped to 1/3rd as it was only on 1/3 the time.
        • SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by zohaib
          Actually i have just started working in this area. So if you can explain steps in more details then it will be vary helpful for me to understand.
          Thanks
          If you go to the section of this forum concerning off grid battery system sizing you will be able to read how to calculate a battery system and pv wattage based on your daily watt hour usage. Below is a link to one of those threads.

Discuss remote solar applications for homes, cabins, RV and boats. If you have a question on equipment for an off grid system, such as charge controllers or inverters, then post your question in this forum.

Comment

Working...