Can't direct all of 30kW panel array to batteries?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scotty11
    • Oct 2015

Can't direct all of 30kW panel array to batteries?

Slow learner here:
    400 amp service (one meter), has 2 200 amp sub panels, one of which powers just about everything on the farm (the other is for a wood/electric hydronic system).
    The 30kW solar will go through 3 - 10kW inverters, one dedicated to the battery system. That one is also capable of "throttling" the output of the solar panels based on the demand. Not sure if they plan a line tap or ?, what with 2 sub panels and 3 inverters.
    Does that mean that when the grid is down the other 2 inverters 'shut down' and we're charging the batteries with the one 10kW inverter, thus 1/3 of the panels? We get 3.5 hours average sunlight here on the PNW coast according to the charts. Do I size the battery bank to the maximum of 10kW over 3.5 hour average?
    Side note: We do plan to incorporate a generator to charge the batteries, which will in turn power the farm.
    Can you point me to info to assist me with getting my mind around this?
    Regards, Scotty
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

From your description it sounds like you have three grid tie inverters, one of which is connected to the AC circuit which powers the battery chargers? If so, none of the inverters will work when the grid is down.
    If you have two GTIs and one hybrid inverter/charger designed for both battery and grid interaction, then it might work for you. And, yes, the other two will not do anything useful while the power is down.

One way around this would be to use an AC coupled hybrid system such as the SMA Sunny Island and Sunny Boy combination. The Sunny Island(s) will be able to throttle down the Sunny Boy inverters when the panels are producing more power than the local loads (AC plus battery charging) can use.

You may also have a problem with the batteries not accepting the high rate of charge that 30kW will produce.
    FLA batteries should not be charged faster than the C/8 rate while AGM batteries can accept a much higher rate which will vary from type to type.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...