X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Amy@altE
    Interesting timing, I just saw this article. http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/05...ed-by-storage/
    My problem is that I continue to read all these places installing solar and always mentioning how much they save but they never say how much the system cost to install it or how quickly it takes to pay for itself.

It is always one sided. So they can save $25k each year for the next 25 years, that comes to less than $650,000 savings for a system that cost them probably $3,000,000. How the hell is that saving anyone money?

Comment

• Engineer
      • Apr 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
      I would not hold your breath hoping the POCO's embrace decentralized power generation for every one.
      Agree. For one thing the public utilities (what does POCO stand for anyhow?) aren't designed for decentralization. Rather the opposite, the entire system is designed for centralization. It will probably cost billions to change that.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Engineer

Agree. For one thing the public utilities (what does POCO stand for anyhow?) aren't designed for decentralization. Rather the opposite, the entire system is designed for centralization. It will probably cost billions to change that.
        POCO = Power Company. Just a quick way to say it.

Comment

• sunnyguy
          • Apr 2015

So they can save $25k each year for the next 25 years, that comes to less than $650,000 savings for a system that cost them probably $3,000,000. How the hell is that saving anyone money?
          They spend $3mil to avoid paying the poco $3.65mil. Solar is good pr for attracting certain donors. "The john g smith solar garden". There are probably a lot of research grant opportunities once you have a large solar operation on campus.

Comment

• Engineer
            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by sunnyguy
            They spend $3mil to avoid paying the poco $3.65mil. Solar is good pr for attracting certain donors. "The john g smith solar garden". There are probably a lot of research grant opportunities once you have a large solar operation on campus.
            Yes there are other reasons why businesses and large orgs go solar that have benefits. PR is one, taxes, various incentive programs, and just peak shaving can have enormous value. My company installed a 1MW array over a parking lot some years ago, with tracking, a huge support system (steel I-beams down to bedrock), EV stations, the works. It's only 1/4 of our power usage but an additional reason stated was it provides a hedge against utility rates and taxes. CEO's are basically investors, and oftentimes you don't invest for huge returns, but because they balance your portfolio.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sunnyguy

Someone still has to pay for the installation. It could be a private donation or come from some other fund. Remember all funds that come out of the government (state or fed) actually comes out of your pocket.

Comment

• RedDenver
                • Apr 2015

Someone still has to pay for the installation. It could be a private donation or come from some other fund. Remember all funds that come out of the government (state or fed) actually comes out of your pocket.
                The article states that the analysis is based on a third-party paying for the initial cost of the system and receiving 5% ROI back from the college. So the $25,000/yr savings is including the system cost - at least that's how I read it.

Comment

• Engineer
                  • Apr 2016

Don't think I posted this one before

Enphase doubles battery storage production target to 60,000 units

US-based Enphase Energy says it has doubled its production targets for its new battery storage system in Australia after an overwhelming response from consumers.
                  Enphase – which is using Australia as the global launch for its modular batteries storage system had planned to ship between 12,000 and 15,000 units in the next six months and the following six months. But it has now lifted that to a total of 60,000 units for the 2016/17 financial year. That equates to around 70MWh.
                  He also said consumers were also looking for more energy independence, and were attracted to Enphase Energy’s modular system – which comes in units of 1.2kWh (and a cost of between $2,000 and $2,500 depending on installer).

2,500 AUD is about $2k USD installed, surely there's something wrong with that as there's no way they'd have such demand for $2k USD/1.2 kWh

Comment

Working...