Battery bank soc fluctuating

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicklomas
    • Dec 2015

I have 2 fisher and paykel smart drive motors that i have rewired for 24 volt charging. I'm guessing this is not the place to talk about adding them to my situation?

Comment

• Bala
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nicklomas
      I have 2 fisher and paykel smart drive motors that i have rewired for 24 volt charging. I'm guessing this is not the place to talk about adding them to my situation?

Assuming you are thinking wind power, generally the advice on this site is that if its not consistently strong clean wind then its not viable. Also if you are in an urban area putting up a tower high enough with blades big enough to drive that motor may to produce any significant power may not be an option.

Comment

• Nicklomas
        • Dec 2015

So back to where I started. I had everything off since yesturday and today at 3pm I reached full charge according to my remote. Now it's 8pm and I got look and I'm down to 30%. Yet nothing has been on inverter unplugged. Now I understand I've been told not to count on my remote. But what's up with this?

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

So back to where I started. I had everything off since yesturday and today at 3pm I reached full charge according to my remote. Now it's 8pm and I got look and I'm down to 30%. Yet nothing has been on inverter unplugged. Now I understand I've been told not to count on my remote. But what's up with this?
          Whats up is that your not taking in the info given to you.

Go and buy this tomorrow

if you dont do that and take readings of every cell and note the temp then there is nothing more I can do. If I go to NZ i go to the south Island so cant actually do it for you!

I am back at work tomorrow so my feedback will be limited.

Comment

• Nicklomas
            • Dec 2015

And now it's back up to 62% I'm guessing this is giving an indication based on voltage. Hence the need for a hydrometer and volt meter?

Comment

• Nicklomas
              • Dec 2015

Yup ok I have purchased one off trademe just waiting for it to be delivered.

Comment

• Nicklomas
                • Dec 2015

And y I have I don't no I'm going to donate my batteries to some one in need and go grid tie any way

Comment

• Bala
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2010

So does the one you ordered have a thermometer or is it temp compensated

Comment

• Nicklomas
                    • Dec 2015

It's temp comp

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

You are not listening, get a hydrometer and forget about your remote. A rested 12 volt battery with no load or charge current, disconnected should measure 12.6 volts. We have been through this many times. No one can help you except you. What do you think that chart I gave you is for? Throw your damn remote away and quit asking questions about it.

Now you tell us what the battery SOC is. DO NOT USE THAT REMOTE.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Nicklomas
                        • Dec 2015

I am listening I just don't understand. Why make and sell a remote with all these features yet they don't work. Why doesn't the soc reading work on the remote. When I tell my brother some grumpy man on the net sed it's useless he's gunner ask me why and because u say so ain't gunner cut the cheese. I am not doubting you one bit I am taking everything u say on board.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I am listening I just don't understand. Why make and sell a remote with all these features yet they don't work. Why doesn't the soc reading work on the remote. When I tell my brother some grumpy man on the net sed it's useless he's gunner ask me why and because u say so ain't gunner cut the cheese. I am not doubting you one bit I am taking everything u say on board.
                          How many times must we tell you? Voltage cannot be used to determine the SOC on a working battery. The voltage can only be used on a RESTED BATTERY that is disconnected which is called OCV (open circuit voltage).

You are not listening because you have been told that many times by myself and others. At the end of the day, disconnect the battery, let it rest over night , measure the voltage, and then use the chart.

You can make and sell anything like a battery monitor. They do not work period, they can only guess. For the last time the only way to determine the true and accurate state of charge on a working system is a battery hydrometer. A volt meter can only be used is on a rested OCV battery. You monitor is nothing more than a Volt Meter, but you are trying to use it on a battery that is eother being charged or discharged.

I can take a dead 12 volt battery with an OCV of 10.5 volts (0% SOC), apply enough charge current and make it measure 14.4 volts and your stupid monitor will tell you it is 100% when in fact it is dead. I can also take a fully charged battery with an OCV of 12.6 volts (100% SOC), apply a load and make the voltage drop to 10.5 volts and your monitor will say the battery is at 0% when in fact it is 100%. Why? Because it is reading VOLTAGE

Another example. A brand new car battery has a rating called Cold Cranking Amps, Cranking Amps, and Hot Cranking Amps. All of those specs tell you how much current the battery can deliver if it is 100% charged up at different tempuratures. If you measured the voltage before you start the CA test, you would measure 12.6 volts. But when you go to test the Cranking Amps the voltage drops to 7.2 volts. Your monitor would see that voltage as dead right? Turn it around you go out to start your car and all you get is CLICK. You have a dead battery. You jump statrt and you instaly see the battery voltage jump up to 13 volts. Your monitor would say the battery is 100% when in fact it is DEAD.

YOU CANNOT DETERMINE A BATTERY SOC FROM VOLTAGE unless it is rested and OPEN CIRCUIT. Even then it is only ball park and not accurate. Only a HYDROMETER can tell you in real time what is going on. Your monitor is worthless.

I will not go through this again.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Nicklomas
                            • Dec 2015

Ok, got it. I will put it on the wall of sacrafice. Don't think this is the last of my stupidity I'll be back later to piss you off when I finish tinkering so you can help me fix things.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Ok, got it. I will put it on the wall of sacrafice. Don't think this is the last of my stupidity I'll be back later to piss you off when I finish tinkering so you can help me fix things.
                              No problem happy to help. But please listen and learn to use your friend GOOGLE. You would have found out voltage cannot be used to measure SOC. Even your battery manufacture manual would tell you that it can only be used on Rested OCV.

Some monitors use what is called Coulomb Counting. All that means is it counts Amp Hours put in, and Amp Hours taken out of a battery. Sounds great but is also worthless because charge/discharge efficiency is less than 100% and varies widely with temperature, and age. It also does not account for Peukert Effect which Lead Acid batteries are greatly affected by.

Unfortunately there is no good method to measure battery SOC without a lot of variables taken into account and daily calibration. Even then it is a Wild Ass Guess. Some of the better units have pre-loaded battery data tables built in. But you must use one of the batteries in the tables and even them is a WAG because as batteries age, thing change and with each cycle you loose capacity. It is like trying to shoot down a rocket with a handgun.

In the mean time when you get your hydrometer, learn to use it. They are not hard to use and with a little practice you can tell instantly what is going on. Be sure to record the info on a Table. With a Table it you can immediately spot a problem.

What I think you will quickly learn is you are in DEFICIT CHARGING. Look it up. If you need some good reading, pleae download this Battery Maintenance guide.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

• Nicklomas
                                • Dec 2015

Ok cool. One last thing can u tell me how many kwh my setup is good for daily? If that makes sense.

Comment

Working...