X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shreyas
    • Oct 2015

how many solar panels required for 1MW solar roof top power plant

Hi all,

How many solar panels required for 1MW solar power plant on roof top of an industrial area?
    howmuch area of roof top will require for 1 MW power generation through solar panels?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by shreyas
    Hi all,

How many solar panels required for 1MW solar power plant on roof top of an industrial area?
    howmuch area of roof top will require for 1 MW power generation through solar panels?
    Your questions are a little too vague. So my answer is about 3400 - 4000 panels and at least 5 acres of mounting space.

Comment

• davidfkim
      • Nov 2015

Yeah like the guy above me said, your question is very very vague. It depends on your panels, if you use SunPower 327s you'll probably need about 2500 panels for 1 mwH in a year. 2500 panels will be 45208 sq ft.

What area is the power plant in? Whats the budget?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Your kidding right? How may gallons of water does a 1 million gallon hold? Who is buried in Grant's Tomb.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• davidfkim
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
          Your kidding right? How may gallons of water does a 1 million gallon hold? Who is buried in Grant's Tomb.
          I think he means 1 mwH of annual production, not a 1mw system size.

Comment

• paul65k
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2015

600Kw DC would produce a little over 1MW based on my location using PV watts.

If you divide by 315 (say LG Panel) you would need about 1900 (1904 actually) panels.

1900 *3.3' (width) would be approx 6'270 linear feet (mounted vertically) so you do the math to figure out how much square footage you would need if using tilt racks on a flat roof (which would be most likely in an industrial application).

Cheers!!

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by paul65k

If you divide by 315 (say LG Panel) you would need about 1900 (1904 actually) panels.

1900 *3.3' (width) would be approx 6'270 linear feet (mounted vertically) so you do the math to figure out how much square footage you would need if using tilt racks on a flat roof (which would be most likely in an industrial application).

Cheers!!
              If you live in AZ you are in one of the best isolation locations in the world. If you live farther North (~1.5 hours per day during Dec & Jan) then you will need to greatly increase the panel wattage to generate anything close to 1mWh a year.

Comment

• paul65k
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                If you live in AZ you are in one of the best isolation locations in the world. If you live farther North (~1.5 hours per day during Dec & Jan) then you will need to greatly increase the panel wattage to generate anything close to 1mWh a year.
                Everyone should live in AZ ......lol

Comment

• Raul
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

I think the op is asking 1MW installed not mWh. There are rich companies that will have mw's of panels installed .
                  If you use 250w panels it wil need 4000 of them . And the area covered if much larger than the area of the panel as you have to allow for relevant distance between multiple rows of panels to eliminate shading and service access.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Raul
                    I think the op is asking 1MW installed not mWh. There are rich companies that will have mw's of panels installed .
                    If you use 250w panels it wil need 4000 of them . And the area covered if much larger than the area of the panel as you have to allow for relevant distance between multiple rows of panels to eliminate shading and service access.
                    A MW of panels will take up about 5 acres of space if they are fixed mount. More if they have any type of tracking system.

That size would be considered a "Co-Generator" by the POCO and have to meet much higher requirements than a 10kw home pv system.

Comment

• shreyas
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by davidfkim
                      I think he means 1 mwH of annual production, not a 1mw system size.

I am not kidding and i am talking about 1 MW system size.

Comment

• Raul
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2015

Though so ; I'm doing a large project teamed up with another firm . To give you a idea it's a warehouse 128 by 250m. It has rows of flat roof windows and we fit the panels in between this rows wich gives us the required space to avoid shading .
                        All we can fit in there is 0.6 mw. The room to service the 10 x 60kw sma's is huge and it needs lots of update to comply with the regs .
                        Logistics and management of this project is no easy taking in consideration the building will be operational during project and road closures for the crane are only allowed after 10pm . So we have to crane our materials at night.
                        The hardest thing for projects like this is to secure the permit from the grid company . If the grid needs upgrade for that area , means your application will wait unti such upgrades are done by the grid . If you're unlucky it can take forever or could never happen.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paul65k
                          WRONG, a 600 Kw DC system would produce roughly 500 Kw AC once you go through conversion losses. Your terms are wrong as you do not know the difference between a Watt and Watt-Hour.

In essence what you are saying is something like this. I have a 10 gallon tank. How far can I go?

You cannot answer because it is non-sense.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?

Your question cannot be answered without a whole lot more information you have failed to provide. So all you are going to get is stupid non-sense answers In Seatlle WS about 2 Mwh/day or 10 Mwh/day in Phoenix AZ.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

Any one who want a MWatts system will have a professional company to deal with all those questions.

Comment

Working...