Easy Peasy grid tie for the home owner ....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkruper
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Easy Peasy grid tie for the home owner ....

You know, about 6 months ago I would have thought this product from Amazon (http://www.amazonDOTcom/gp/product/B00N0T52TW?keywords=grid%20tie%20solar%20panel&qid =1444594778&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5) was the best thing since sliced bread. And then I started reading this forum ....
    Last edited by inetdog; 10-12-2015, 10:10 PM. Reason: obfuscate link. Still fun to look at....
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

including UL approval reference of solar panel and grid tie inverter.
    UL "approval" ???
    Everything could well be listed except for that pesky cord and plug connection.
    And I doubt that most POCOs would give any weight to their connection diagram.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• lkruper
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
      UL "approval" ???
      Everything could well be listed except for that pesky cord and plug connection.
      And I doubt that most POCOs would give any weight to their connection diagram.
      Its on the internet so it must be true

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by lkruper
        You know, about 6 months ago I would have thought this product from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_5&sr=8-5) was the best thing since sliced bread. And then I started reading this forum ....
        Yea. This forum is a real wet blanket sometimes. Reality bites.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Is the inverter UL 1741 certified ?
          Not likely, so not grid tie legal in the USA
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
            Is the inverter UL 1741 certified ?
            Not likely, so not grid tie legal in the USA
            I bet it has a UL-listed power cord though. With a UL (or backwards RU) sticker on it.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Unfortunately anyone looking at those micro inverters start to believe they can build a simple pv system and "plug in" or even "hard wire" into their main panel without going through an agreement procedure with their POCO.

The way the install is explained is very simple but lacks any reference to following NEC or POCO requirements. And with some people being so eager to "reduce their electric bill" or "be green" they will quickly jump at the chance to purchase and install a similar system without realizing the consequences.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

I'm closing this thread with the following statement:

In the USA, there are NO (none) UL 1741 inverters certified to be "plugged into an outlet".

It can certainly be done, just like anyone could go to a marina, and get 5 gallons of un-taxed boat gas, and fill their car with it. But it's not legal.
                If your power company sees it, they will disconnect you. In most cities, if you don't have electrical power at your house, the City can "red tag" the house.

Please, anyone, give me the UL reg. number for a plug-in GT inverter for USA.

Till then, this Forum cannot endorse an illegal and unsafe activity.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  I'm closing this thread with the following statement:

In the USA, there are NO (none) UL 1741 inverters certified to be "plugged into an outlet".

It can certainly be done, just like anyone could go to a marina, and get 5 gallons of un-taxed boat gas, and fill their car with it. But it's not legal.
                  If your power company sees it, they will disconnect you. In most cities, if you don't have electrical power at your house, the City can "red tag" the house.

Please, anyone, give me the UL reg. number for a plug-in GT inverter for USA.

Till then, this Forum cannot endorse an illegal and unsafe activity.
                  Don't forget to delete the links to that crap.

Comment

• lkruper
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    Don't forget to delete the links to that crap.
                    Your are the mods, but I don't possibly see how anyone could view this thread and get anything but good solid reasons why the product is poorly advertised and dangerous.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Your are the mods, but I don't possibly see how anyone could view this thread and get anything but good solid reasons why the product is poorly advertised and dangerous.
                      Sorry. I meant that comment as being sarcastic but forgot to change the font to Comic Sans MS and add my blue smiley face.

Comment

• lkruper
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2015

Sorry. I meant that comment as being sarcastic but forgot to change the font to Comic Sans MS and add my blue smiley face.
                        I knew you had a sense of humor, but I have grown accustomed to seeing the Comic font!

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

I knew you had a sense of humor, but I have grown accustomed to seeing the Comic font!
                          I'm just getting old.

Comment

• lkruper
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • May 2015

I'm just getting old.

Its not the age, its the mileage

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

Its not the age, its the mileage

Its not the sage, its the smileage

Comment

Working...