No announcement yet.

estimating yearly production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isn't the timeline / banking accumulated over a year ? day to day, month to month will vary, summer you may export a lot, winter, more usage. As long as it evens out roughly over a year. The PoCo knows there can be 20% or more seasonal variation.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCullip View Post
      If your POCO wants you to limit you solar output to just cover your past yearly use, you can always build a smaller system to fit into their requirements.
      This would not have worked for me. The plan was to generate enough to heat and cool, besides
      the far smaller current electrical use. I see our plan as ideal for all, as no money changes hands,
      they just credit me summer production for winter consumption. If I finish with a surplus, which cost
      me nothing extra, they get to keep it that year for free, saving them generation and also transmission
      losses. And I am helping to generally level their peaks. Seasonable variations are 3 or 4 to 1.

Guess I could have gone to electric heat a year earlier to demonstrate a big usage, before building
      the PV solar. Not a good plan. Bruce Roe

Comment

Whats confused me about this question is that every question on the form is about annual values, but this one seems only makes sense if it's monthly. I'm going to estimate my excess production for a sunny month when the AC isn't being used; I think it could be as high as a 200kw surplus. Or no surplus at all if it's cloudy. Stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by badwithusernames View Post
          Whats confused me about this question is that every question on the form is about annual values, but this one seems only makes sense if it's monthly. I'm going to estimate my excess production for a sunny month when the AC isn't being used; I think it could be as high as a 200kw surplus. Or no surplus at all if it's cloudy. Stupid question.
          Sounds (reads) like the question about excess production might not be well thought out or framed.

Some (most ?) POCO's - in CA anyway, and some others I've seen, tally net usage over small time increments (mine does it in 15 minute increments). Over any 15 minute period I can have net draw from the POCO regardless of net usage for the day/week/month/year.

If, for example, my PV system generates, say, 30 kWh in a 24 hr. period but my usage (not draw from the POCO, but what my meter would show for usage if I didn't have PV) for that same period is, say 20 kWh with, say, 8 of those 20 kWh of usage occurring when it's dark, my POCO will see me drawing at least 8 kWh for that day while the excess generation for that day was 30-20 = 10 kWh. At the end of the billing period, (~ monthly) I won't see a charge for account activity for that day, but I will have had an 8 kWh draw from the POCO billed at a time variant hourly rate if I was on T.O.U. (but that will be offset at billing by the (hopefully) excess generation over the entire billing period. It's a bit more involved than that for many CA residential PV users because of something called nonbypassible charges (NBC's), but that's the general picture.

Your POCO may also have other purposes - and not all of them nefarious - for asking such questions such as possible help in forecasting possible future peak loads or maybe something to do with possible future demand charges. For example, if you and a bunch of other folks nearby all plan to get EV's and get level 2 charges in your garages, that may put a large and new demand on the grid. That may be a not be a terribly far fetched scenario, at least in CA.

I'd still call them and ask for clarification.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-15-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Update:
            I went with a max of 200kw monthly. Just received an email from PSEG that my interconnection application has been approved!
            thanks for the advice that got me here!

Comment

Update:
              I went with a max of 200kw monthly. Just received an email from PSEG that my interconnection application has been approved!
              thanks for the advice that got me here!
              Thanks for the follow-up. I hope you enjoy your new solar.

Comment

max of 200kw monthly.
                You mean, 200kwHOUR? Bruce Roe

Comment

Yes, kwh
                  posting from a phone without glasses, always catches me..

Comment

Working...
                  X