X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foo1bar
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
    I have no issue providing contact information for a solar contractor to get in touch with me. It seems like the correct next step in using a calculator for free. So providing that information is not wrong or a scam in my book if it means keeping a company in business.
    I have no problem (and would even be very supportive of) "The calculation shows your system would pay for itself in X years - to have someone contact you about installing solar, please enter your contact information:"
    I think even "to see the results, enter your phone # here:" isn't too bad. I can put a number like - 212-867-5309 (random area code + Jenny) or 1234567890.
    Or an option to skip submitting your number/email. (which means you the leads you sell are more likely to be *real* leads and therefore should be worth more)
    But when it is trying to be sneaky about taking your email AND phone number in order to sell it to a 3rd party, IMO that's wrong.

In this case I wouldn't use the website. And I would instead recommend that people use an alternative. Possible alternatives would be PVWatts or Google's project sunroof.

I'm a little disappointed to find out that it's run by the same company that runs solarpaneltalk.com - I had a higher opinion of them before seeing this.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by foo1bar

I have no problem (and would even be very supportive of) "The calculation shows your system would pay for itself in X years - to have someone contact you about installing solar, please enter your contact information:"
      I think even "to see the results, enter your phone # here:" isn't too bad. I can put a number like - 212-867-5309 (random area code + Jenny) or 1234567890.
      Or an option to skip submitting your number/email. (which means you the leads you sell are more likely to be *real* leads and therefore should be worth more)
      But when it is trying to be sneaky about taking your email AND phone number in order to sell it to a 3rd party, IMO that's wrong.

In this case I wouldn't use the website. And I would instead recommend that people use an alternative. Possible alternatives would be PVWatts or Google's project sunroof.

I'm a little disappointed to find out that it's run by the same company that runs solarpaneltalk.com - I had a higher opinion of them before seeing this.
      And yet I was only contacted by one solar contractor and have not received any spam emails or phone calls.

If you want to be left alone then IMO don't use an open website or calculator. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Working...