Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new system in the deep Jungle of South America

Hello,
    This is my situation. Lets say I have unlimited 100w panels, and 20a charge controllers. Low budget for battery, but I will get whatever I need.
    I just want to run my 1100 inverter peak 2200 for my fridge(1.5a) and some lights or chargers. Mostly during the day with good sunlight because I am in Ecuador.
    What battery will I need? I dont want to power it all night long, I am happy if it only powers during day light with good sun.
    Is there a way I can use many solar panels to directly power my house too? Any ideas to what to do with many solar panels and no batteries or just 1?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by josuemolina2000 View Post
    Low budget for battery, but I will get whatever I need.
    "Low Budget Battery" and "Deep Cycle Battery" are rarely used in the same sentence.
    Have you heard of a $100 230AH GC2 6 Volt Golf Cart Flooded Lead Acid Battery?
    Two (2) x 6 Volt batteries wired in series would get you 12 Volts.
    They are rated at 230AH, but you should only use 50% max each night before recharging next day.
    Assuming you get good sun every day.

Does the compressor in your fridge runs 50% of the time?
    180 Watts = 120 Volts x 1.5 Amps
    2,160 Watt-Hours per Day = 180 Watts x 12 Hours per Day

Energy in the batteries ...
    1,104 Watt-Hours = 12 Volts x ( 230AH / 2 ) x 80% efficiency

2 x 6 Volt GC2 Batteries would be just barely enough power to run the fridge for 12 hours per night.
    Batteries would allow the fridge to run if there was a cloud over the Solar Panels during the day.

Originally posted by josuemolina2000 View Post
    I just want to run my 1100 inverter peak 2200 for my fridge(1.5a) and some lights or chargers.
    Does your 1100 Watt inverter require 12 Volts or 24 Volts DC input?
    Are you saying your Fridge uses only 1.5 Amps?
    Is that at 120 Volts AC?
    Last edited by NEOH; 06-04-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I have to make a couple of assumption like you will be using a PWM controller and have access to golf cart batteries. I live in Panama just north of you and the first challenge is actual sun light. Jungle an solar panels do not work with each other. You must have direct sunlight all day long with no shadows. . So I have to assume you have a clearing.

If all you want to do is run the fridge during the day, and do not care about short lived batteries it will take 4 x 100 watt panels, 1 x 20 amp controller, and a pair of 6-volt golf cart batteries.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

To add a couple more words. If you are running a Fridge, you should use a Pure Sine Wave inverter. They cost more, but less than replacing the Fridge. A motor running on a mod sine inverter, consumes about 20% more power and therefor, 20% hotter. In a fridge, the motor is sealed inside the compressor, and so the fridge has to run 20% longer to dump the extra heat. And if the motor is too hot, it dies, and you replace the fridge.

Charging a cell phone, a couple LED lights, consume next to nothing, if you are already running a fridge.. Expect to replace a pair of 6v golf cart batteries every year, since you will be subjecting them to heavy usage.

And you must have direct strong sunlight for the panels to work and charge the batteries,
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hello, thanks everyone for your responses. To answer them:

No, I havent. There are some 100AH 12v batteries for $300 bucks, or a bunch of 8 years 100AH Lead Acid batteries no one uses. Maybe revive them?

I dont need my fridge to run at night, just while is sunny. And is VERY sunny here. North west of Ecuador, border with Colombia.

My inverter is 12volts
          Yes, that is what the fridge says in the door.
          Is that at 120 Volts AC?
          Yes

Will my 20a charge controller hold 4 the amps of 4 100w panels?

And I havent buy the inverter yet, I was goign to buy the Krieger 1100w 12v, but I can instead get the pure sine wave, but which one would you recommend?

Is there anything I can do with all the extra solar panels and 20a charge controllers?

Comment

yep, big box stores, Costco, Sams club, wally world $90-$120
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

Originally posted by NEOH View Post

"Low Budget Battery" and "Deep Cycle Battery" are rarely used in the same sentence.
              Two (2) x 6 Volt batteries wired in series would get you 12 Volts.
              They are rated at 230AH, but you should only use 50% max each night before recharging next day.
              Assuming you get good sun every day.

Does the compressor in your fridge runs 50% of the time?
              180 Watts = 120 Volts x 1.5 Amps
              2,160 Watt-Hours per Day = 180 Watts x 12 Hours per Day

Energy in the batteries ...
              1,104 Watt-Hours = 12 Volts x ( 230AH / 2 ) x 80% efficiency

2 x 6 Volt GC2 Batteries would be just barely enough power to run the fridge for 12 hours per night.
              Batteries would allow the fridge to run if there was a cloud over the Solar Panels during the day.

Is that at 120 Volts AC?
              Hello, I answered your questions, do you have any other ideas from what I replied?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                To add a couple more words. If you are running a Fridge, you should use a Pure Sine Wave inverter. They cost more, but less than replacing the Fridge. A motor running on a mod sine inverter, consumes about 20% more power and therefor, 20% hotter. In a fridge, the motor is sealed inside the compressor, and so the fridge has to run 20% longer to dump the extra heat. And if the motor is too hot, it dies, and you replace the fridge.

Charging a cell phone, a couple LED lights, consume next to nothing, if you are already running a fridge.. Expect to replace a pair of 6v golf cart batteries every year, since you will be subjecting them to heavy usage.

And you must have direct strong sunlight for the panels to work and charge the batteries,
                Which inverter do you recommend?

Comment

Pick a name brand Pure Sine Wave Inverter
                  http://www.aimscorp.net/12-Volt-Pure-Sine-Inverters/

Comment

http://www.theinverterstore.com/12-v...inverters.html

Comment

Here's another one avaib in 600w and 1000w + http://www.samlexamerica.com/product...l.aspx?pid=109 (thanks to Sunking for the link to that one)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                        Here's another one avaib in 600w and 1000w + http://www.samlexamerica.com/product...l.aspx?pid=109 (thanks to Sunking for the link to that one)
                        You are welcome.

Here is another one I have specified in about 300 Cell Tower sites from Exeltech . They now make 12 volt models from 125 watts up to 2000 watts. They are hot swappable and redundant N+1. They are rack mount optional with redundancy. As more power is demanded the next unit comes on line. Example if you needed say 1000 watts, you would use 5 x 250 watt modules. If all you demand is 200 watts, only one unit is on line. The 5th one is N+1 redundancy.

But you can also just use a single 1000 watt unit. They are made for 100% duty cycle and 25 year MTBF. What is unique about the Exeltech no other Inverter can do is supply extremely poor PF loads like a bank of rectifiers or servers all of which are non linear loads even generators have trouble with. Motors and electronics are a piece of cake.

Samlex also makes a Professional 100% Duty cycle line in their PST line up. Those can also handle poor PF loads.

Mike you might want to check Exeltech out for a future upgrade. They can break you free of that 12, 24, and 48 trap you are locked in. They make inverters any battery voltage from 12 to 108 volts. Actually they will make them in any voltage you want. I have used them in small data centers using 400 volts to run 208/120 UPS. You can even put HVAC on them. But off the shelf stuff is 12 to 108 volts. They even make Mil Spec stuff.
                        Last edited by Sunking; 06-11-2017, 08:07 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Hello,
                          I just wanted to double check if what I am doing will work.

10 panels of 100w and 2 30a charge controllers. Working as 2 Sets of separate solar panels arrays 5 panels per charge controller:
                          connected to the batteries, reaching around 55amps max of charge

2 6volts 215ah batteries

1 pure sine wave sunforce 1000w peak 2000w

8avg cable for batteries and inverter

Will this work?

My needs:
                          I just need to turn on my fridge (180w) sometimes during daylight, a max of 6 hours a day.
                          4 LED lights for 3 or 4 hours. MAX.

Extra, but not necessary:
                          I also have a deep freezer that draws(240w MAX).
                          Will my inverter run it too? How long?

Thank you guys in advance.

Comment

in Jungle conditions you should be running a 24v chest type refrigeration unit. and not be using an inverter at all. A chest type will hold the cold 10X longer and you can make ice during the day when you have max solar input, equals much less battery. a front load refrigeration running from inverter is a waste of time, money and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                              If all you want to do is run the fridge during the day, and do not care about short lived batteries it will take 4 x 100 watt panels, 1 x 20 amp controller, and a pair of 6-volt golf cart batteries.

If my calculations are wrong, please let me know. 4x100w panels will do 400w / 12v = 33.33amps. How can I use 1 x20amp controller?

I bought 30 amps controllers now, but I am not sure if I can use 4 panels with it. Whats the suggestion?

Comment

Working...
                              X