X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbaroi
    • Mar 2016

Solar PV Plant Approximate Calculation

Guys,

I'm very much new in this field. Tried to understand the calculation. But couldn't went through.
    Can any one help me how much watts I can get in 30 acres of land ?

Area Location : 22.563141,91.751410

Preferred Vendor :
    Yingli Solar Panel
    HUAWEI Inverters

- SIMON
    Dhaka, Bangladesh

• DanKegel
    Banned
    • Sep 2014

I don't know myself, but http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy13osti/56290.pdf might be useful.
    Assuming fixed mount, table 3 says average was 7.6 acres total per MW AC in 2013,
    figure 5 says max was 13 acres per MW AC (presumably in a less sunny area?).
    That's for total land area, presumably including margins, fencing, etc. Area used
    directly for solar panels is about 20% lower, see table 4; average was 5.5 acres per MW AC.

http://ep-bd.com/online/details.php?cid=31&id=19008 claims 3.5 acres per megawatt in Bangladesh,
    perhaps that's direct area (not including margins) and DC (not including inverter losses),
    more recent (so slightly more efficient panels?) and in a sunnier location... who knows.

So, somewhere between 2 and 8 megawatts.

http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ may be useful for narrowing that down, if you can figure out how many panels fit on that parcel, and how many watts each produces.
    I tried putting Chittagong in for address, and it seemed to recognize it.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by DanKegel
      I don't know myself,
      So OP do you want to hear from someone who does not know squat?

MSEE, PE

Comment

• sun_fan
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by sbaroi
        Guys,

I'm very much new in this field. Tried to understand the calculation. But couldn't went through.
        Can any one help me how much watts I can get in 30 acres of land ?

Area Location : 22.563141,91.751410

Preferred Vendor :
        Yingli Solar Panel
        HUAWEI Inverters

- SIMON
        Dhaka, Bangladesh

A large scale ground mounted installation would require space not only for the PV modules, but also for adequate drainage of rain water, earth pits, adequate space between rows (preferably for movement of motorised carts) and at the periphery, building(s) for housing the Power Conditioning Units, sub-station with switchyard etc. A conservative starting point would be to assume that only 30% of ground area is available for panel surface area. Based on this, in your case about 9 acres or 36,423 sq.m would be the surface area of the PV Modules. If we consider Yingli's YL325P-35b modules, with peak power of 325 W and dimensions of 1.96m x 0.99m, then we could accommodate about 18,770 panels. This would translate to about 6.1 MWp DC power.

Please note that the above assumed 30% could be higher if the shape of the land is rectangular or squarish.

Hope this helps..

Comment

• sbaroi
          • Mar 2016

Guys,

Thanks. It really helps me. I got the full idea about the area. I have 35 acres, so as per your comment, I think 6-8mw is possible.

1) Does anyone has any video/tutorial to use PV Watts ?

2) Any comment on Solar Panel or Inverter. Which inverters/panels are good ? because Its a 20 yr investment. So Can't compromise on that. It will help, if you can mention brand and model.

3) Should I take warranty for next 10-15 yrs for the inverters ? Some people tell that 5yrs is enough.

4) Organic Solar Panel is coming... any Power Plant with Organic Solar Panel.

5) What kind of Solar Panel will be good - Polly / thin film ?

I need some precise information to prepare my business model and present it to my management.
          So your field level/practical experience will help me.

regards

SIMON

Comment

Working...