X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RussN9ZP
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2012

Rogue MPT-3024 MPPT

Still looking for a charge controller. I saw one of these (Rogue MPT-3024 MPPT) on Ebay. Looks to be made in Oregon. Does anyone have any experience with these? Good/bad?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The USA made Rogue is a good controller, within it's limits. It has a very good MPPT algorithm, but a somewhat low max input voltage. Mark is coming out with a new model shortly, with a higher input limit. If the version you are looking at, meets your needs, they are a solid controller, with many extras, as standard equipment.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

They are pretty good for 12 and 24 volt applications. As Mike mentioned the maximum Voc input is rather low @ 60 volts, but as I know your application it is not a problem for your application. My only real problem with it is is Price Point as it is a bit on the expensive side for a 30-amp MPPT controller.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• RussN9ZP
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250
        The USA made Rogue is a good controller, within it's limits. It has a very good MPPT algorithm, but a somewhat low max input voltage. Mark is coming out with a new model shortly, with a higher input limit. If the version you are looking at, meets your needs, they are a solid controller, with many extras, as standard equipment.
        Originally posted by Sunking
        They are pretty good for 12 and 24 volt applications. As Mike mentioned the maximum Voc input is rather low @ 60 volts, but as I know your application it is not a problem for your application. My only real problem with it is is Price Point as it is a bit on the expensive side for a 30-amp MPPT controller.

Thanks guys. For the price it appears to have alot of display info vs a morningstar sunsaver MPPT. I want some thing that going to tell me all the voltages and amps without needing other external meters.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Well Russ if you do not have an issue with the price then by all means go for it. As a friendly tip learn how to interpret the voltage readings on the batteries. For example when you see the at rest voltage of 12.2 volts you need to stop using them and allow for a complete recharge because at 12.2 volts you have reached the 50% DOD point which you do not want to cross.

In addition the Trojan 27 TMX battery is a Hybrid Marine battery so don't be surprised if after a couple of years service they start to weaken. Last point get a good lab quality temperature corrected Hydrometer made for batteries, learn how to use it as they will tell you the true State of Charge and add many more life cycles to the batteries. It will be the best $20 you ever spend.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• RussN9ZP
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
            Well Russ if you do not have an issue with the price then by all means go for it. As a friendly tip learn how to interpret the voltage readings on the batteries. For example when you see the at rest voltage of 12.2 volts you need to stop using them and allow for a complete recharge because at 12.2 volts you have reached the 50% DOD point which you do not want to cross.

In addition the Trojan 27 TMX battery is a Hybrid Marine battery so don't be surprised if after a couple of years service they start to weaken. Last point get a good lab quality temperature corrected Hydrometer made for batteries, learn how to use it as they will tell you the true State of Charge and add many more life cycles to the batteries. It will be the best $20 you ever spend.
            Thanks Dereck. I actually printed out a chart to reference battery voltage to state of charge. 12.6 is about where i have been taking the batteries down to. With the storm the last couple of day ive had to run my battey charger to keep up the charge after several hour of use.

As far as the batteries. Im kinda of at a stalemate of what to do. I have two brand new Trojan 27's. i dont think i can combine them with paralled 6 volts unless im wrong. And also dont think i can incorperate another style battey into the mix. Im not sure if the will take back the new batteries or not. I was actually going to buy two more this week but now im not sure. So where do i take it from here? Typical newbie poor decisions i guess.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by RussN9ZP
              Thanks Dereck. I actually printed out a chart to reference battery voltage to state of charge. 12.6 is about where i have been taking the batteries down to. With the storm the last couple of day ive had to run my battey charger to keep up the charge after several hour of use.

As far as the batteries. Im kinda of at a stalemate of what to do. I have two brand new Trojan 27's. i dont think i can combine them with paralled 6 volts unless im wrong. And also dont think i can incorperate another style battey into the mix. Im not sure if the will take back the new batteries or not. I was actually going to buy two more this week but now im not sure. So where do i take it from here? Typical newbie poor decisions i guess.
              We will talk about it over the phone.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...