Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TekArt
    • Jun 2009

Just finished my 3.6kW Enphase installation

Hi folks, I have been waiting for the last 9 Enphase M190 inverters so I could complete my 3.6kW installation. Finally got it all up today. They are on my workshop roof in coastal Maine, USA. Roof faces West (170 degrees). So far I am very pleased with the Enphase inverters and the Enlighten web interface that shows near real-time stats of energy production.

You can see my detailed installation blog and stats here:
    solar,solar power,solar panel,Watt,feed-in tariff,electric,power,energy,KWh,energy,Watt,inverter,micro-inverter
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B][URL="http://www.arttecsolar.com/"][FONT=Arial Black]ART TEC[/FONT] Solar Powered Differential Temperature Controllers[/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • Aussie Bob

Wow, great job. You put a LOT of planning and research into this, and it's paid off for you. Love the details on your site too. Excellent work.

Comment

• Jason
      Administrator
      • Dec 2008

Thanks for the good news TekArt. I appreciate you posting your link with all the fantastic details! I'm sure a lot of people here will enjoy reading through the process.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Nice write-up, and report on system.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ed2kayak
          • Aug 2009

Nice website. I just sold my 2 cycle lawnmower. I think I'll try an electric. Downside for me is 1/2 acre, some hills. But at least I'll get the exercise. I was starting to hate using the 2 cycle, it has lots of torque and will go through anything, but its smokey even w/synthetic oil.
          [I][URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?albumid=23"]My PV & Thermal Hot Water System.[/URL][/I]

Comment

• BilljustBill
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2009

Here in Texas, with only one major power company, among many smaller co-ops and city compaines, will offer an energy credit. Texas has no "net metering", so any buy-back is small.

Very nice website and pictures. I know you are proud!!

Back in the 80's, one co-op required half a million dollar liability policy when hooked into their grid. I was wondering if your electric company, and other forum members' electric companies, too, require liability insurance? It's cost and paperwork trail?

Thanks,
            Bill

Comment

• Aussie Bob

Originally posted by BilljustBill
              . . . Back in the 80's, one co-op required half a million dollar liability policy when hooked into their grid. I was wondering if your electric company, and other forum members' electric companies, too, require liability insurance? It's cost and paperwork trail?
              I'm from Australia and there was very little paperwork for me to grid connect with my solar PV system. There was no mention of needing liability insurance. I did sign some paperwork about the size of my system, and sent it back to the power company. They then installed a new digital meter after the solar PV company did their install. It was all remarkably painless and very smooth.

Comment

• carlos
                • Mar 2010

small help

can you help me. iam just total confuse and confuse.

Comment

• TekArt
                  • Jun 2009

connecting

In our state (Maine) the electric codes are managed by each township. Our little town of 2500 has a code enforcement officer - who is also the fire chief. He did not require any permit or paperwork whatsoever for my solar array.

I did sign a Net Metering contract with the utility though. This gives me credit for any surplus in a month that is banked against the next month. The main reason for the contract for the utility is so they can report the renewable energy input to the grid to the state. Our state has mandadet a 30% renewable portfolio in the electric supply - and aiming for 40% in the next few years. We get a lot of hydro power from Canada, and some new big wind farms. Then there's us residential folks kicking in our half percent or so.
                  [SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B][URL="http://www.arttecsolar.com/"][FONT=Arial Black]ART TEC[/FONT] Solar Powered Differential Temperature Controllers[/URL][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

• Sergeant
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BilljustBill
                    Here in Texas, with only one major power company, among many smaller co-ops and city compaines, will offer an energy credit. Texas has no "net metering", so any buy-back is small.

Very nice website and pictures. I know you are proud!!

Back in the 80's, one co-op required half a million dollar liability policy when hooked into their grid. I was wondering if your electric company, and other forum members' electric companies, too, require liability insurance? It's cost and paperwork trail?

Thanks,
                    Bill
                    My co-op offers net metering, but has a $1,000,000.00 policy requirement...any thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

• lile001
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by carlos
                      can you help me. iam just total confuse and confuse.
                      Hi, Carlos! Post a new question about something specific you are confused about, and we'll try to help!
                      Lawrence Lile, PE

Comment

• lile001
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by TekArt
                        Hi folks, I have been waiting for the last 9 Enphase M190 inverters so I could complete my 3.6kW installation. Finally got it all up today. They are on my workshop roof in coastal Maine, USA. Roof faces West (170 degrees). So far I am very pleased with the Enphase inverters and the Enlighten web interface that shows near real-time stats of energy production.

You can see my detailed installation blog and stats here:
                        http://www.arttec.net/SolarPower/index.htm
                        Tekart, I've started a new thread about grounding and lighting protection after checking out your page here:

solar,solar power,solar panel,Watt,feed-in tariff,electric,power,energy,KWh,energy,Watt,inverter,ground,grounding,WEEB,lightning,rod,bond,IronRidge,Genesis
                        Lawrence Lile, PE

Comment

• TekArt
                          • Jun 2009

Bill,
                          Our utility did not require any insurance. I guess they figure that the homeowner is pretty invested in the reliability and performance of the system. My homeowners policy does cover the replacement cost of the system - believe me I checked on that pretty quick!

Comment

• BilljustBill
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Sergeant
                            My co-op offers net metering, but has a $1,000,000.00 policy requirement...any thoughts or suggestions?
                            You can most likely go through your homeowner's policy and add the liability costs for a under a hundred dollars, so that's not the real problem....

From past experiences with my Co-op, if you have ANY problem with voltage surges, or that cause damage to any of your neighbors, you're going to need the million dollar liability policy to defend yourself because they are going to say "We didn't cause it,.... it must be that guy generating his own electricity and backfeeding into our lines."

In Texas, a newer set of gridtie guidelines require only a electrical Co-Op must give watt for watt credit for a home's monthly useage, then they can offer whatever they want for the rest of the watts you put back into their lines. The million dollar policy is just the beginning of costs for grid tie systems. There's most likely an "entry" cost fee when you apply for a grid tie in, a monthly billing fee, and you'll have to pay for and provide some type of certification by a "qualified person" (electrician) that your system meets all the electrical codes.

Also consider other costs: Permit costs, and your time for inspection...if it passes, when you live within city limits. And then there are places where neighborhood organizations have Covenants/Restrictions that won't let you fly a U.S. flag on a permanent pole, so expect fines and court costs if you don't get permission for a wind/solar project.....

I'm for safety and good building practices. It seems that the rules and regs, and how they are implemented, come down to who is making/getting the dollar...and most of the time it isn't the average guy.....

Comment

• BilljustBill
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by TekArt
                              Bill,
                              Our utility did not require any insurance. I guess they figure that the homeowner is pretty invested in the reliability and performance of the system. My homeowners policy does cover the replacement cost of the system - believe me I checked on that pretty quick!
                              Your are lucky Tec, for having a good Co-op. I wish it was that simple down this way.

On my homeowner's policy, unless the improvement is directly attached to the house, a seperate listing and additional cost is on the policy for it to be covered. When we had a solid 30 minutes of golf ball size hail, two years ago the 17th of this month, I was so thankful I had everything in order. In fact, I'd just finished having the decking and new 30 year asphalt shingles installed on Jan. 10, on a garden shed to get it dried in before the ice and snow hit. The brand new roof lasted about 90 days until the hail hit. I shudder to think what that amount of hail/wind for 30 minutes would have done to the thin glass solar panels....

Since you checked with your insurance company about solar, before the next time you have roof damage, ask about "Hail resistant" singles. Although Maine may not have that kind of weather problem, it still might help cut your policy cost.

After that hailstorm, I went back with a shingle by GAF/Elk called "Armor Shield II". At the time, they cost $201 a square installed over 30lb roofing felt. My home and the shed project had asphalt shingles. Just by going back this shingle, when the renewal date came around, my homeowner's policy cost dropped by $503.00!!! Plus, since they were installed in October and the renewal date was in April, the insurance company credited me over $100 on my old policy to allow for the time the new shingle was on the house.

That savings applies every year in the future that the singles stay on the house. It amounts to a great element if you sell your house in the future, plus the money saved can go to offset any future rate increases all insurance companies are bound to have.

Besides, every dollar saved "could" go into more solar panels... ;>)

Bill

Comment

Working...