X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ward L
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2014

Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare

I bought a Tesla Cybertruck last month. It comes with Tesla PowerShare. The PowerShare allows you to plug your Cybertruck into your home and power the home with the Cybertruck battery. I have a 10 kW solar system with Enphase M215 microinverters installed in 2014. I want to install the Tesla PowerShare system with an additional battery. Over the years, Enphase has tried to sell me their new IQ inverters and new panels because that is how they make money. I want to know if I can assemble all the pieces to use my old panels and M215 microinverters to charge my additional battery (which is likely to be a Tesla PowerWall), my house and my truck. Of course, I asked Enphase and they basically had no comment about using a Tesla battery. I've requested quotes from electric contractors. I want to hear from SolarPanelTalk guys if anyone knows if this will work and how to do it. I'm sure I can get all new panels from Tesla and it will work, but I don't want to do that.
  • solardreamer
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Powerwall works fine with Enphase micros. In fact, it's probably the only way you can get Enphase micros to work with PowerShare. However, be aware that during blackouts the M series micros can only turn on or off completely (vs proportional output power control) when the home battery is full. That may make keeping the battery charged more difficult. Keep us posted on your PowerShare install. I was a bit sticker shocked to see this PowerShare install story (https://electrek.co/2024/04/25/tesla...-installation/). Seems rather excessive for a glorified generator.

Comment

• Ward L
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2014

The expensive PowerShare story you refer to is not just a typical PowerShare install. It included extra batteries and an electrical panel upgrade. For sure, electric work can get expensive!

For clarification of when you say the Enphase M215 mirco inverters can only turn on or off when the grid is down and the battery is full; I have 40 inverters. In the case where the PowerWall battery is full and the grid is down, the inverters will cycle on-off, or kick off and not come back on? When cycling on-off, do all 40 inverters kick on and off at once? What if the truck battery is not full, and plugged into the PowerShare, but the PowerWall is full, are the inverters kicking on and off? Do you know someone with the M series inverters with a PowerWall I might chat with to understand the situation better?

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I want to find out about.

Comment

• solardreamer
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

When the Powerwall is near full it will turn off all M215's then all loads will run off the Powerwall. When the Powerwall has drained enough from loads then it will activate the M215's again and resume charging from solar power. When the Powerwall is again near full it will turn off all M215's and repeat the cycle. So, if M215's are turned off then not turned back on until later in the day then the Powerwall may not be able to charge to full and could be left without enough charge to last through the night.

With PowerShare it might not be as serious if you can recharge the Powerwall from the Cybertruck. You might want to ask Tesla about that.

Comment

• chrisski
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2020

Ask Tesla about that….. How do you do that?

Only way I’ve found to “ask Tesla” as a model 3 owner is to drive to the dealer, which for 45 minutes I won’t do. Phone calls won’t work. Only thing I can do is schedule an appointment which may be a repairman coming to the house.

Comment

• Ward L
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2014

Your explanation seems like it would work reasonably well. The panels cannot run if there is no place to send the electrons. I'm not hearing the setup would charge the Cybertruck battery when the PowerWall is fully charged. Is that correct? My question is can you selectively charge the PowerWall or the CT battery first? Where are you getting your information? I will need a source when I start talking to my electrician about how to set it up.

Comment

• solardreamer
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

Tesla after-sales support sucks but pre-sales is a bit better. I am assuming OP is getting Powerwall from Tesla then there should be an assigned "advisor" that can answer questions.

Powerwall has a "Charge on Solar" feature that could be configured to charge Tesla EV's with excess solar power. Having said that, I have read it's got problems. Ask Tesla or check the Tesla forums for more info.

Comment

• chrisski
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2020

The Tesla forums do seem to be a great way to get info, at least for the cars. I did not have an advisor when I got my model 3 new, even the day I ordered it to delivery.

Just a random email with a delivery date.

Comment

Working...