Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilly
    • Oct 2023

controller help needed

i have 3-100 watt 12 volt panels, i need to charge 6-six volt 210 AH. batteries

what size mppt controller do i need?

any more info needed let me know please.
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Need system voltage you're planning on. Are these FLA golf cart batteries?
    One problem I see is you have either too much battery or too little solar power
    Last edited by littleharbor2; 11-06-2023, 12:33 PM.
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• Rade
      • Aug 2023

I bought one of those 6-panel solar kits from BJ's several years back. I used it to teach myself how these things work. It worked okay - I was able to power the electronics in my home office with it (PC's, monitor, printer, etc.) I bought a deep-cycle marine battery that I hooked up to the inverter. The rig was enough to keep the battery charged. We had a small boat that I put a 4hp electric trolling motor on, and I was able to use the battery for that.

Rade Radosevich-Slay
      Tiverton, RI

Comment

• lilly
        • Oct 2023

i have a 36 volt inverter to go to 120 v ac. these are trojen six volt T106 batteries 210 AH. total 6.

i can wire 12 volt or 36 volt input to controller. im going to use a boost charger and what i think im reading it will figure what it needs to do on its on.

i bought a 100 amp mppt controller. i need to know if its what i need,please

why i have 6 batteries is because i bought a new set for my cart a year or so ago and my cart took a crap a couple months ago so ive been wondering abought solar back up power for years now and seeing i have the set why not do it.. man have you checked the price of trojen batteries latley? there double the cost from when i got my set.

thanks for the help
        Last edited by lilly; 11-06-2023, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor2
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

You need to series wire the panels to achieve 36 volt nominal voltage. Problem is;
          One, You need around 20 amps to charge those batteries in a 36 volt configuration. You will be lucky to get 5 amps from your 3 panels in series. You really need 12 of those panels,with your proposed plan. Better yet you buy large format panels at a much cheaper price per watt.
          Two. You likely bought a fake MPPT controller unless you paid a minimum of 300 dollars for it. Can you post a photo?

Comment

• lilly
            • Oct 2023

thanks for the info, i have been wondering what to look for when it all together, i understand the 20 amps needed .

i just went and looked at a site selling a panel for a golf cart at 250 watt and it says 6.5 amps p/hour. what does that actually mean?

thats basicly what im doing , charging a golf cart just with the panels not on the cart and the batteries not either

Comment

• littleharbor2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

You need 20 amps @ approx 45 volts to charge a 36 volt bank of batteries. Simply put, you need 1200 watts to achieve that in one combination of panels or another. 12 100 watt panels or 5 250 watt panels. and a controller that will charge a 36 volt battery.

Comment

• littleharbor2
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

As to your 250watt panel. These are usually 60 cell panels. Considered 20 volt, "nominal" I don't see how you could charge a 36 volt battery with it.
                What are your plans for usage of this 36 volt battery?

Comment

Working...