Will these Sunpower panels with micro-inverters work with this DIY system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yunaiseng
    • Aug 2023

Will these Sunpower panels with micro-inverters work with this DIY system?

I'm looking into picking up some used Sunpower model XPR-X21-345-C-AC. They include the Sunpower IQ 7XS micro-inverter.

I had been seriously considering assembling something based on Will Prowse's mobile 48v solar system, but I'm a bit unclear on whether those panels with the micro-inverters would work with something like this. EG4 inverter. Would I be able to simply not connect the microinverters and use them that way? OR, what kind of device should I be looking into that would handle the power for these kinds of panels with microinverters for an off-grid application?

• Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by yunaiseng
    I'm looking into picking up some used Sunpower model XPR-X21-345-C-AC. They include the Sunpower IQ 7XS micro-inverter.

I had been seriously considering assembling something based on Will Prowse's mobile 48v solar system, but I'm a bit unclear on whether those panels with the micro-inverters would work with something like this. EG4 inverter. Would I be able to simply not connect the microinverters and use them that way? OR, what kind of device should I be looking into that would handle the power for these kinds of panels with microinverters for an off-grid application?

Micros do not work in an off grid application unless AC coupled to a hybrid inverter. If you are going to spend the money on a hybrid inverter connect the solar panels to the inverter. I have some used Sunpower panels and they work great with my hybrid inverter. Micros are nice if you want to add a few panels because there is no minimum string and the wiring is simpler and typically takes care of Rapic Shut Down requirements if there are any in your jurisdiction.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...