Can I connect my batteries to Internet wirelessly?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otherchuck
    • Dec 2022

Can I connect my batteries to Internet wirelessly?

Greetings all!

As we were resolving our recent system malfunction, we talked to a troubleshooter over the phone, and he recommended that we connect our two LG RESU16H Prime batteries to the Internet to facilitate remote monitoring and troubleshooting. I would have thought the batteries were already connected to the Internet, but our installers were rock-bottom horrible, so it wouldn't surprise me if they failed to set things up correctly (our system has been operational only 50% of the last seven months, so that should give you some idea about their commitment to customer service).

The guy on the phone sent me a manual that tells me how to do this, but since I am not a solar power engineer, nor a master electrician, I am having difficulty interpreting the relevant instructions. Plus, we have two batteries, and the manual seems to assume I only have one. The manual says to run an ethernet cable thru ""hole 2," but as you can see in the attached photo, "hole 2" is already used. I could violate their instructions and maybe go thru "hole 1" but I am very concerned about opening up a vector by which rain and other moisture can get into the housing.

If possible, I would prefer to connect these batteries to the Internet wirelessly, as opposed to hardwiring them via ethernet cable. Is there anyway to do this with a network interface card that resides inside the battery housing (we have good wifi connectability near the batteries), or is a hardwired ethernet cable my only option with these batteries?

Thanks!

Otherchuck

batteries small.jpgLG battery holes labeled.jpg
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

You can use a gland nut to prevent water from entering the case. Also put a drip loop on the cable and be sure and use outdoor rated wire.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• oregon_phil
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by otherchuck
      Greetings all!

As we were resolving our recent system malfunction, we talked to a troubleshooter over the phone, and he recommended that we connect our two LG RESU16H Prime batteries to the Internet to facilitate remote monitoring and troubleshooting. I would have thought the batteries were already connected to the Internet, but our installers were rock-bottom horrible, so it wouldn't surprise me if they failed to set things up correctly (our system has been operational only 50% of the last seven months, so that should give you some idea about their commitment to customer service).

The guy on the phone sent me a manual that tells me how to do this, but since I am not a solar power engineer, nor a master electrician, I am having difficulty interpreting the relevant instructions. Plus, we have two batteries, and the manual seems to assume I only have one. The manual says to run an ethernet cable thru ""hole 2," but as you can see in the attached photo, "hole 2" is already used. I could violate their instructions and maybe go thru "hole 1" but I am very concerned about opening up a vector by which rain and other moisture can get into the housing.

If possible, I would prefer to connect these batteries to the Internet wirelessly, as opposed to hardwiring them via ethernet cable. Is there anyway to do this with a network interface card that resides inside the battery housing (we have good wifi connectability near the batteries), or is a hardwired ethernet cable my only option with these batteries?

Thanks!

Otherchuck

You didn't specifically say which LG Chem battery you had, but I'll guess it is an LG 16H Prime.

Reading the installation manual "RESU16H PRIME_IM_ENG_low_210415.pdf" found on the LG Chem website, it appears wifi connection from your battery to your network is available IF you create a RESU Monitor account, commission and set up the battery using the LG "RESU Monitor" also known as remote monitoring device (RMD) in the manual.

The big caveat is that the manual is not very well written, and I could be completely wrong.

Your installer probably didn't connect the batteries to the internet because in this case, the battery will function property without an internet connection. Home owner network issues create high volumes of phone calls for equipment suppliers.

The downside of connecting your battery to the internet is exposure to hacking from outside sources. Unless you isolate your battery from the rest of your network, hacking of a remote monitoring site could expose all of your network and files to others and/or a ransomware attack.

If you are not having any issues now, then I wouldn't do anything drastic. By far the easiest solution is to buy a spool of ethernet wire and only connect it to your battery when you have issues to help with troubleshooting. In any case, you have to be very knowledgeable about high voltage DC, AC and network basics since you will have to open the battery control module to connect the ethernet cable. You said you are not a master electrician nor solar engineer, so I would advise you not to open up any piece of equipment. The LG manual specifically states all parts of the manual should be completed by skilled and trained staff. In other words, if you touch it, you own it, no more warranty or liability. You would be better off hiring a third party to come in for troubleshooting.

If you still want to connect your batteries to the internet, read the manual, and follow the instructions in the Installation process for Remote Monitoring Device (RMD). If the instructions seem foreign to you, I wouldn't even attempt it. There are too many downsides.

Comment

• GoingElectric
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2022

Originally posted by otherchuck

Thanks!

Otherchuck

as oregon_phil says, using Wi-Fi can cause all kinds of problems, should be avoided at all costs.
        It is perfectly safe to open and look inside, take a picture, and close it again. Pay attention to how it closed and opens so you can confidently close it again.

Very likely it does not matter which hole is used, but need look inside to confirm.

Comment

• HGtesla
          Banned
          • Jul 2023

You can wirelessly connect the battery to the internet for functions such as remote monitoring, data transfer, and remote control. This concept of connecting devices to the Internet is called the Internet of Things (IoT). By connecting the battery to the Internet, you can get more intelligent functions and data, and improve the management efficiency and reliability of the battery system.

Comment

Working...