How can I reboot Solaredge battery invertor system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otherchuck
    • Dec 2022

How can I reboot Solaredge battery invertor system?

Greetings all!

We had a localized power outage in my rural neighborhood a couple days ago; A junction near us was invaded by a squirrel and a fuse got shorted out. The power went out, but our solar batteries kicked right in as intended. Hooray! Minutes later, the power went out again for a few seconds, then came back on, so I figured that was just a little transition from batteries back to grid. A few minutes later, it went off again, and then "sort of" came back on again. But this time we were in 'brown-out' mode -- power from the grid was feeble. PG&E (I live in California, USA) came out after a few hours and fixed their part of the problem so our grid power supply was back to normal.

However, about the time of the 'brown-out' phase, our solar panel/battery system went down. I am guessing the "on...now off...now sort-of on" circumstances triggered our less-than-robust solar system to shut down. We contacted our installer yesterday, but, given our sad history with this company (don't ask!), I assume we won't get any response for at least a week and when that day comes, they will say "Gee, we are backed up, but we might be able to get to your house in about 2 months." Seriously, they are that bad; I have had to complain about them to a state consumer protection agency in the past to get any action from them.

So we want to try to reboot the system ourselves. The original installer of the batteries and inverter gave us some instructions for rebooting the system which we followed to the letter and which did not get rid of the red "system failure" light. But, yes, as been hinted at in the previous paragraph, it is possible that our installer had absolutely no idea what the heck he was talking about.

I am including a picture of our Solaredge set-up. Here is what we did:

(1) Moved the toggle switch "A" to the right, off position, indicated by an "O"
    (2) Removed the hex screws on the unit at left, and shut off the blue breaker within ("B")
    (3) Turned off the big "C" switch to off, and waited two minutes
    (4) Turned blue breaker back on
    (5) Put toggle switch back to the middle position, indicated by an "I"
    (6) Turned the big "C" switch back to on

When that didn't work, we checked out an online video that seemed to match our system, and repeated our attempt with two changes (based on what we saw in the video):

We reversed steps 5 and 6 above, and instead of just moving the "C" switch from off to on, we held the toggle swith in the far left position indicated by a "P" for a couple seconds before releasing it back to the middle "on" position.

Still no luck; red system failure light persists.

Can someone give us some guidance as to what we did wrong and what we can do to succesfully reboot the system? Whole-house electrics are not my strong suit, so feel free to dumb this down and explain it to us to us in terms a 12-year old could understand; I won't be offended!

Thanks SO MUCH for any suggestions!

Otherchuck

solaredge reboot2.jpg
    Attached Files
  • chronos432
    • Feb 2023

Would be good to see what the error messages are from the inverter. Use the Setapp app and connect to the inverter. I have the same BUI/inverter/LG battery system and the Setapp connection provides a lot more information regarding error codes. Could be still something from the grid.

have you tried disconnecting from the grid entirely, if you have a breaker before your BUI, to see if it will run in completely off grid mode?

Comment

• darkskies
      • Nov 2022

If I recall, on my system, I would switch C to off, then switch off the rapid shutdown switch that is outside). After 30 seconds or so, turn on the rapid shutdown and then the "C" switch. Granted that was done before I had a battery connected. I should ask to see if any different procedure now.

However, there have been times when the system has locked up (I think it was an ARC FAULT) and my installer had to get solar edge support to remedy the issue (never heard what they did).
      What chronos432 mentioned is a good idea, as you'll get the fault code. Sometimes you can find that fault online, sometimes not, but it would be useful info to give to installer/SolarEdge.

My sympathy on the installer issues. Mine has been awful as well. I've been waiting two months for them to install an ATS (as interim fix, since backup interface doesn't work with generators), and to upgrade the inverter to a larger unit - both of which they have in stock. It is so frustrating, dealing with solar install companies nowadays. Many years back, on with my first install, the company was great. Now, I keep hearing about people with issues from installers. very sad state of affairs.

Comment

• otherchuck
        • Dec 2022

Greetings again,

I used the app on my phone to get to "inverter status," and the error message for Sunday May 28th (when the system shut down) says:

Error 18xC7: Rapid Shutdown
        Reported on May-28-2023, 15:19:42

For today, there is the following error message, but this one I presume refers to my failure today to reboot the system by turning various thins on and off:

Error 3x9B: RSD Test Failed, OFF/ON to Reconnect
        Reported on Jun-1-2023, 18:12:08

Is that info diagnostic at all, or is there some other info I am supposed to extract from the app?

I am about to contact Solaredge directly, but I know from experience that their boilerplate response will be "Contact your installer" and of course we have already done that to no avail. What a horrible industry the solar power industry has become!

Otherchuck

Comment

• darkskies
          • Nov 2022

Usually with the error code (and sometimes knowing the CPU firmare version) I google for the error to see if there is anything that may help. For the 18xC7, I see this: https://portal.solar-support.com/sup...18xc7-v3-19xx-
          Error Message: RSD Error

Solutions: Rapid Shutdown hardware error. Contact SolarEdge support.

Troubleshooting-

1)Turn the toggle switch off, and verify that the VDC drops below 30V. If it does not, check the strings.

2) Turn OFF Inverter and open up Top Cabinet cover and confirm if there is any physical damage visible in the Inverter. If not, move to the next step.

3) Pair the optimizers.

4) Update the FW using an SD card.
          Update Video Tutorial :

https://vimeo.com/252952933

Another has it https://solaranalytica.com/solaredge-error-codes/
          Description: RSD Error. Rapid Shutdown hardware error.
          What to do: Contact SolarEdge support.

They seem to imply CPU F/W 3.19 and single phase. In both cases they suggests contacting SolarEdge.

I couldn't find the 3x9B error, although mine had a 3x9A, which is RSD on mine and was because I flipped the rapid shutdown switch.

Let us know how you make out. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Comment

Working...