Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldryder
    • Sep 2022

Update on my week old DIY ground mount system

Finally got the system on line a week ago. (42) 315 watt panels ground mounted at 44 degrees on a homemade fixed structure of 2-7/8" well drilling pipe pounded in (no concrete) with remaining structure of green treated wood. After 7 mostly sunny days the system is yielding 44Kwh per day based on the generated value provided by the utility meter. Total installed cost was approx $14k which includes a $2k premium for upgrading the distribution panels, disconnects, and wire to 200 amp so I could add another 8Kw in the future . My local utility was very supportive and required only a $300 permit which included the installation of a new meter. Elec install of the primary disconnect, meter to array load center wire, and inverter to load center wiring was all contracted out to a local electrician which made the elec inspection easy as the elec had a good relationship with the elec inspector. The contracted electrician, wire, and panels was a substantial part of the total cost.
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

What state you from and what brand of inverter did you buy? Buy your solar materials online or from a local brick and mortar supplier?
    Congrats on the DIY installation. Unlike what solar contractors would lead you to believe it's really an easy install. Toughest part is dealing with the paperwork side.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Sounds good, show us pictures. A decade ago the elec co here only charged
      $100 fee, and they were in the process of changing out all the meters for free
      anyway. I got my original spinning disk meter for free, now I use to keep track
      of annual KWh energy reserve. A 200A capability is a lot easier to deal with
      than smaller systems, and potentially adding some stability and efficiency.
      Wiring can be expensive if all must be hired. I have a licensed electrician
      friend who made sure everything was to spec, while allowing some DIY work.
      Bruce Roe

Comment

• oldryder
        • Sep 2022

MN. I'm lucky my local utility was easy to work with. A friend that lives not far from me had a much more difficult time with his local utility. Inverters are Solar City (since bought out by Tesla) H6. Bought panels and inverters from a craigslist guy that had a 40KW system at his location using all the same hardware. He buys panels from all over the country; mine were new unused from a project that was never completed.

Comment

Working...