Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrjohnson99
    • Sep 2022

Panel optimizer and inverter MPPT interaction

Just getting quotes for a new small solar system and trying to understand more of the detail. With an optimizer on each panel in a string, and MPPT in the inverter, are there conflicts between what the optimizers are trying to do and what the MPPT is trying to do, or does it all work seamlessly?
  • littleharbor2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

Solar Edge optimizers and inverters are designed to work together. Other optimizers and inverters may or may not play well together. Depends what the inverter wants to see and whether the optimizer is designed to work with the inverter. Are you talking Grid Tied or Off Grid?
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• mrjohnson99
      • Sep 2022

It's grid-tied but with the ability to run off LiFePO battery if the grid goes down. UK-based and that doesn't happen often. Likely to be a SunSynk 3.6kW hybrid inverter. Not sure of optimizers...maybe Huawei.

Comment

• littleharbor2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by mrjohnson99
        It's grid-tied but with the ability to run off LiFePO battery if the grid goes down. UK-based and that doesn't happen often. Likely to be a SunSynk 3.6kW hybrid inverter. Not sure of optimizers...maybe Huawei.

I'm not familiar with those products.
        Why are you wanting optimizers? Are there shading issues?

Comment

• mrjohnson99
          • Sep 2022

Sunsynk is very popular in South Africa and is expanding in the UK. The inverter has a couple of very useful features. Firstly it's not completely grid-tied and will work on battery if the grid dies. Secondly it has an extra a/c input/output which can be used to divert energy that would be exported to the grid to an immersion heater instead. In the UK the price for export is between a fifth to a tenth of the price of import, so that makes sense. Saves heating the water with gas for maybe 8 months of the year.

Space on my south-facing roof is very limited (6 panels) and one panel will start to get shade from mid-afternoon. I need to squeeze all I can get out of them.

I managed to get through to Sunsynk tech support this afternoon. They told me that the inverter is compatible with all optimizers except Solar Edge.

Comment

• littleharbor2
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

I managed to get through to Sunsynk tech support this afternoon. They told me that the inverter is compatible with all optimizers except Solar Edge.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense as Solar Edge optimizers are part of the system and their inverters only work with their optimizers.
            Glad you got your answer.

Comment

Working...