Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Estor
    • Aug 2022

Commercial Roofer

Wanting to offer solar to my clients with the expansion/extension of the solar tax credit. What do the far more learned folks than I...recommend?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Estor
    Wanting to offer solar to my clients with the expansion/extension of the solar tax credit. What do the far more learned folks than I...recommend?
    I'm not sure what you'd consider learned, but FWIW and in some loose order, I'd check out 3 sources:

1.) The IRS website et seq.
    2.) A CPA who does taxes.
    3.) Have a chat with a tax savvy attorney skilled in tax litigation.

Paraphrasing what Mike 134 writes, tax advice from a chat room is about as reliable as tax advice you'll get from bar flies.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-10-2022, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor2
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2016

Get NABCEP certified.
      Get Certified - NABCEP
      2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

You need to decide it you want to hop on the integrated solar shingle bandwagon. The market is littered with failed attempts but various manufacturers keep trying as it is potential game changer. Reportedly Tesla has been desperately trying to dump their installations on private contractors but no one is buying. Installing conventional solar panels on a roof is not rocket science and unless the AHJ objects a roofer skills line up really well with the skills needed. Note some jurisdictions reportedly define any handling of a panel to be electrical work and requires electricians do the install once the roof racking is in place and I have heard of some jurisdictions where the racking needs to be installed by electricians. Obviously, you need to confirm how much your crews can do. Ideally you either hire or partner with an electrical contractor to do the final wiring. Electricians like solar as frequently panel and service upgrades are needed, so a little bit of solar work can expand into a much larger job. Many electricians really do not like roofs or grunting panels in place so they may be interesting in partnering. The reality is most residential is "plug and play" these days, the biggest challenge is configuring the set up and communications with the factory.

Comment

• Estor
          • Aug 2022

Thank you both. I will look into that certification. I was wondering, more so, on the equipment supplier and system side?

Wondering if there is a "consensus" about who are the best material manufacturers and suppliers?

Thank you for the input so far though. Very much so.

Comment

• Estor
            • Aug 2022

Originally posted by peakbagger
            You need to decide it you want to hop on the integrated solar shingle bandwagon. The market is littered with failed attempts but various manufacturers keep trying as it is potential game changer. Reportedly Tesla has been desperately trying to dump their installations on private contractors but no one is buying. Installing conventional solar panels on a roof is not rocket science and unless the AHJ objects a roofer skills line up really well with the skills needed. Note some jurisdictions reportedly define any handling of a panel to be electrical work and requires electricians do the install once the roof racking is in place and I have heard of some jurisdictions where the racking needs to be installed by electricians. Obviously, you need to confirm how much your crews can do. Ideally you either hire or partner with an electrical contractor to do the final wiring. Electricians like solar as frequently panel and service upgrades are needed, so a little bit of solar work can expand into a much larger job. Many electricians really do not like roofs or grunting panels in place so they may be interesting in partnering. The reality is most residential is "plug and play" these days, the biggest challenge is configuring the set up and communications with the factory.
            Working with my GAF supplier on their "evolving" technology as well.

Any recommendations on suppliers for array based systems.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Estor

Working with my GAF supplier on their "evolving" technology as well.

Any recommendations on suppliers for array based systems.
              I was an Engineer for GAF for a long time so I am interested in their solar product which came out after I left them back in 1989

Comment

• Estor
                • Aug 2022

I am re-pinging my rep as we speak. Will update.

What about for flat roof systems so on arrays and brackets?

Comment

Working...