Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desmo907
    • Mar 2012

Enphase replacement micros - went bad?

After ~9 years of running my 21 Phono panels with Enphase micros (M215), 2 of the panels (diodes) went bad and panels were replaced . However prior to that we had thought it was the micros (Enphase diagnosed it) and they had sent me 2 replacements, and I hired someone to replace them. But later the same issue was there and another vendor figured it was the panels (Phono was NOT helpful with the warranty and tried to blame it on bird poop

Now ~1 year later the 1 of the replacement micros started showing lower production numbers and after a few weeks it went dead. Now a month later the other replacement micro started doing the same thing... but a few days after that, the original replacement micro (that was first showing low production and death) is back to normal. Very odd.

The replacements were: M215240-IQ7-S22-RMA

Thoughts?
  • MGE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2013

If you have the Enphase monitoring package that you can track your production online like I do maybe you can isolate the problem yourself.
    Try swapping micro's with other known reliably producing panels and see if the problem follows the micro or panel. Then replace the defective unit.

I also installed my 8k system a little over 9 years ago using the same micro's. Enphase M215's. I went with (34) 260w Suniva panels.
    My system has been trouble free since the day I installed it back in April of 2013.
    My panel production has been pretty steady across the board. I think I have generated about 120MW so far.
    Good luck.

Comment

• desmo907
      • Mar 2012

Thanks...I do monitor it... that is how I saw the issue
      A few years ago I thought I had 2 bad micros and got free replacements (paid someone to install them). The same issue was there and we determined it was the panels. Replaced those panels later.

Now (year or so later) those 2 replacements micros seem to go bad according to my solar company. Oddly the one that had apparently died is now OK and the other is dead. And its both of the replacements (IQ7) that had been sent to me.

Comment

• MGE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2013

Looks like you can still get the 215's new on Amazon for like $60 apiece.
        Since you had conflicting output from your original micro could it be a plug connection issue?
        Like I said before just swap a couple of "suspect" inverters to a panel combo that is trouble free and see if it brings down that panel, that will tell you for sure if it's a micro problem.
        If you have good access to your panels it shouldn't be to hard to check it out.
        Make sure you turn off your 240v 2 pole breakers first. Micro's won't generate voltage if it doesn't see line power so it should be pretty safe to unplug and plug back in again.
        If I remember correctly you need a special tool to unplug the male/female connections.

Comment

• desmo907
          • Mar 2012

I am waiting on the solar company to get the replacements and do the work I cannot climb the roof and remove panels, to swap, etc. And its odd that the original that was near dead is now back yet the other is now near dead. They were replaced about 1 year ago (and then later a few dead panels that was the original culprit) . Thanks!

Oddly both seem to be working properly the last week. But seems we should still replace them.. waiting on enPhase to respond.
          Last edited by desmo907; 09-04-2022, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...