Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbizzle22
    • Mar 2013

Sunpower PVS6 / Solarbridge SPM-101-SPR Compatibility

My existing PV monitoring device is failing with constant operating system crashes. Many power cycles just lead back to the same "starting application" message.

I tried the SD Card trick that this post talks about: https://kuzyatech.com/debugging-stuc...er-solarbridge That didn't do anything but maybe get me a few extra minutes of uptime.

System info:
    • 4.1kW Solar System with 20 SunPower SPR-240E-WHT-U-ACPV panels
    • Existing PV Monitor Device: Solarbridge SPM-101-SPR - I believe Sunpower purchased Solarbridge long ago. I happened to get a system 15 years ago when Sunpower still outsourced their monitoring hardware.
    I was eventually led to the idea of buying a newer Sunpower PV Supervisor device and swapping that in. Problem is that I can't find anywhere to buy the darn thing! I do see an older PVS5x monitor device on eBay but I'm unsure if the older device is worthwhile. Called Sunpower who tells me to call Sunpower dealers who tell me to call Sunpower. Back and forth with no answers on how to buy parts or replacement hardware.

Does anyone know how to get a PVS6 or knows anything about the difference between a PVS5x and PVS6?

Also does anyone know if I can just bite the bullet and swap my microinverters to Enphase ones so I can use their monitoring system? I've heard that people who are able to get Sunpower to warranty failied older micro inverters get sent Enphase ones so I get the hint that they do work. Would just love to know for sure.

​​​​​​​
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by dbizzle22

Also does anyone know if I can just bite the bullet and swap my microinverters to Enphase ones so I can use their monitoring system? I've heard that people who are able to get Sunpower to warranty failied older micro inverters get sent Enphase ones so I get the hint that they do work. Would just love to know for sure.
    There is no reason you can not use Enphase micros. The solar panel does not care. I assume that the MC4 connectors are still on the solar panels. If not, you will have to connect those. The other issue is the trunk cable and if that is the same between the Sunpower and Enphase micros. .Be sure and match the capacity of your panels with the correct model of Enphase micros. If you just want monitoring without panel/micro level detail try and Emporia Energy monitor.
    Last edited by Ampster; 07-28-2022, 02:40 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• dbizzle22
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Ampster

There is no reason you can not use Enphase micros. The solar panel does not care. I assume that the MC4 connectors are still on the solar panels. If not, you will have to connect those. The other issue is the trunk cable and if that is the same between the Sunpower and Enphase micros. .Be sure and match the capacity of your panels with the correct model of Enphase micros. If you just want monitoring without panel/micro level detail try and Emporia Energy monitor.
      Thanks, good to know that I have a last resort with the Enphase micros and monitor device.

The Emporia is interesting. I guess what I really want most is to know that my panels and microinverters are all working and generating what they should be. The Emporia wouldn't help me with that correct?

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by dbizzle22
        The Emporia is interesting. I guess what I really want most is to know that my panels and microinverters are all working and generating what they should be. The Emporia wouldn't help me with that correct?
        Only from a gross production standpoint of all your micros. It could be an interim step until you get an Envoy.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• LeeLewis
          • Feb 2018

If you're curious about the SolarBridge manager, check this post.
          I've seen several people post about this and I've replied here and there but it's probably lost so I thought I should just make an info post about it. Several years back, the SolarBridge manager stopped being monitored remotely, leaving all owners high and dry for many. Local Access This meant your only option was to connect

Comment

Working...