Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desmo907
    • Mar 2012

Canadian Solar CS6K-270M panels needed

I had an install with 21 Phono 250 dark (and micro inverters) completed ~10 years ago (my electric savings will pay for the total cost this year) but 2 panels went bad last year and were replaced with Canadian Solar CS6K-270M panels since the Phono were not available.
    Since I had 3 rows of 7 panels, I added a 3rd CS panel so the (end) column of 3 would be balanced (for looks). The color doesn't perfectly match the Phono black panels but they work. However now a micro-inverter under the newer panel went bad. I was thinking since I had to pay a 3 hour minimum to install the micro, I might add another column (of 3) panels - replacing the 3 Phono panels (next to the current 3 CS panels). My Phonos are 250w and the CS are 270w so I do see an increase in production. But the CS seem discontinued and I tried looking for them online.
    Any thoughts on maybe where to find 3 of them?
    Thanks.

• Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

No idea, but the advantage of micros is that you can mix and match panels of various capacities without the concerns of a tyical system with strings. However i suspect your concern is aesthetics in terms of similar appearance.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

Keep an eye on Fleabay and might want to give Sun Electronics a call.

With all the press on the need for solar panel recycling, I sure do not see a lot of used panels flooding the market. My assumption would be that a recycler would separate the panels coming into such a facility into working and non working and sell the working panels to other markets and possibly maintain an inventory of obsolete panels for people to buy replacements. They do it with silverware patterns . No doubt the folks in Puerto Rico who went for over a year without power would not mind getting a container to two of tested functional panels (I believe SunElectronics services that market.

I have been looking for a "polka dot" Siemens or Shell SR 90/100 panel for my collection and they are rare up my way. I have seen one pop up once down in Florida and recently in CA but neither party would consider dropping one off at UPS store to have it packed and shipped on my dime. When new they were super expensive ($10 a watt) so I expect the original owners just do not want to part with them as no doubt they are still putting out power. The plant in Camarillo had a few runs with bad lamination over the years but its seemed random, the ones I run into are incredibly overbuilt compared to some of the modern stuff.

Comment

• desmo907
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
        No idea, but the advantage of micros is that you can mix and match panels of various capacities without the concerns of a tyical system with strings. However i suspect your concern is aesthetics in terms of similar appearance.
        Yes correct. And since the labor charge is 3 hour minimum to change 1 micro I figured to leverage his time and swap out 3 more panels, if I can find the CS as they produce more power
        Unfortunately when they replaced the first 3, I didn't realize they were older panels and not available anymore ):
        I could try to find 3 others that are a close match but then I might 3 shades of different black panels on the roof....

Comment

Working...