X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foggysail
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2012

Racking options

What are guys using today for racking? Is Ironridge considered one of the better systems? What would you suggest for a good system but not the least expensive one.

Thx-
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Foggy as you know I'm also an Electrician and I was really impressed with the Ironridge system. Unistrut should take notes from them. The flashfoot 2 system was easy to install and I thought the rails using the square bolts would be a pain but turned out to be super easy. Tomorrow I have help and the modules go on, I'll let you know how that works.

I'm very impressed so far, granted it's a data sample of one.

Comment

• foggysail
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2012

Thanks Mike! I am close to wrapping up documentation needed for a permit. At the same time I am starting to look for a panel installer, I can take care of the electrical..............no way am I going to haul that stuff up onto my roof. Talked to a couple of solar companies today in case things do not work out the way I want. One company stopped taking orders until September plus they wiill not take orders that require less than 30 panels. I am looking at 22.

Out of curiosity I asked one guy the price range for a 10KW job..............$37+K. Really! Sunrun is going flat out in my neighborhood. I spoke to one guy today doing an install----- told me his crew is working 55 hours every week, Monday-Friday. No leases for me!

Comment

• foggysail
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2012

Mike- More later .... just having some fun back here in Massachusetts. So far I have 3 companies coming out to my home for a solar install quote and I will not budge if I do not like the equipment they offer along with a max cost of 30K. So far have been in a pissing mode with at least 2 who need to know my electric bill even after telling them I will not accept a system lease WHICH IS GOING ON all over my town today. My electric bill is none of their business.

Also have called a couple of roofing companies to see if I can contract with them to install racks and panels. No go so far but there are many more roofing companies in the area for me to call. Going to keep banging the drum until someone hears it

Comment

• sidpost
          • Mar 2022

Iron RIdge rails are easy to work with but, they are only 17' long so, they don't really support modern panel dimensions.

Unirac Heavy Duty 20'6" rails are a little more expensive and very high quality and will support modern panel dimensions much better. The ones I'm looking at are $112 MSRP for the 20'6" lengths which will let me go 5 across versus the 17' Iron Ridge which only support 4 across. My friend's new barn has the roof structure at every 20' so, he tried to get Iron Ridge to sell him some 20' rails but that discussion was a customer support disaster and I bet he will never buy another Iron Ridge product the rest of his life.

The other thing to consider is the cost of two Unirac rails versus three rails of the competition. In my case, two Unirac rails while individually more expensive are cheaper than three cheaper rails to carry the loads I need to support.

Comment

• Mike 134
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by sidpost
            Iron RIdge rails are easy to work with but, they are only 17' long so, they don't really support modern panel dimensions.

Unirac Heavy Duty 20'6" rails are a little more expensive and very high quality and will support modern panel dimensions much better. The ones I'm looking at are $112 MSRP for the 20'6" lengths which will let me go 5 across versus the 17' Iron Ridge which only support 4 across. My friend's new barn has the roof structure at every 20' so, he tried to get Iron Ridge to sell him some 20' rails but that discussion was a customer support disaster and I bet he will never buy another Iron Ridge product the rest of his life.

The other thing to consider is the cost of two Unirac rails versus three rails of the competition. In my case, two Unirac rails while individually more expensive are cheaper than three cheaper rails to carry the loads I need to support.
            '
            I have 9 panels across with my ironridge system. 14'+17' I choose the XR100 series. $61 for the 17' $50 for the 14 ' and $6.88 for the UL approved splice no bonding jumper needed.

Comment

• sidpost
              • Mar 2022

My newer panels are too wide for the 17' rack span. We also need the 20' rails to catch the roof beams which are spaced at 20' so splicing shorter rails isn't really an option.

Be sure to measure the width of your panels before buying rails to ensure you get the number of panels on each rail span you expect if you can't "splice" shorter rails together.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

My newer panels are too wide for the 17' rack span. We also need the 20' rails to catch the roof beams which are spaced at 20' so splicing shorter rails isn't really an option.
                Are you saying you have no rafters on 16 or 24 inch centers? Typically rafters run from the ridge to the gutters or overhang. The rafters often sit on a beam or two.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• sidpost
                  • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Ampster

Are you saying you have no rafters on 16 or 24 inch centers? Typically rafters run from the ridge to the gutters or overhang. The rafters often sit on a beam or two.
                  The load-carrying steel beams are on 20' centers for the steel roof.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

Thanks, that makes sense. Steel buildings present challenges but there are also opportunities.
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike 134
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2022

The load-carrying steel beams are on 20' centers for the steel roof.
                      so the racking carries 5 panels between load points plus a snow load if your in the north?

Comment

• sidpost
                        • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Mike 134

so the racking carries 5 panels between load points plus a snow load if your in the north?
                        Yes, 5 panels wide and 4 inches shy of 20 feet! The main structure attachment is to deal with high wind gusts/loads and weight from anything that finds its way to the panel's face.

Comment

Working...