X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunnyDayPlease
    • Mar 2022

Transfer Switch help for Sol-Ark 12K

ATS.png

I need help figuring out what product to buy, the item in PURPLE is what I do not have yet. I'm thinking an ATS or a manual switch. I'm leaning towards manual because it seems some ATS looking for frequency changes (hertz) and I worry that it may confuse the Sol-Ark, and I already have one ATS on the main grid panel. So just not sure what I need. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Since you already own a Generac transfer switch why not get another one if the existing one works for you. I saw a 100amp one at Lowes for about $380.

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish? The SolArk has a built in transfer switch. I believe the load port and grid port are bidirectional so Panel A will receive any excess generation. The load port could power the critical loads panel directly and does not need a transfer switch. Are you looking for a way to take the Sol Ark off line for maintenance and power the critical loads panel during that maintenance? If that is the case, an interconnect device on the critical loads panel would work. I use one and it cost $60 plus an extra breaker. That is a lot less expensive and duplicates what a Midnite Solar transfer switch would do. The Midnite Solar transfer switch is $175 and is just two 60 Amp double pole breakers connected by an interlock so only one breaker can be energized at one time.
      Last edited by Ampster; 03-25-2022, 05:33 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• jflorey2
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by SunnyDayPlease
        I'm thinking an ATS or a manual switch. I'm leaning towards manual
        Yeah, as Ampster mentioned just put two breakers next to each other on panel A, then use a mechanical interlock to ensure that you can't turn on both breakers at the same time. One breaker feeds the Sol-Ark, the other bypasses it. A lot of people make the mechanical interlocks; you can even make one yourself for about $20. Just some sheet metal and some hardware.

BTW you don't need a separate transfer switch for the generator unless your generator loads will exceed 12kW. The Sol-Ark has a dedicated generator input and a transfer switch that will switch between grid and generator.

Comment

• SunnyDayPlease
          • Mar 2022

What I'm trying to accomplish is basically a bypass maintenance switch where I can power my critical loads panel in the event the Sol-Ark needs taking off the wall for repair or replacement. I figured it out. I got a switch that can do this manually. I saw where you can make a interlock, or buy one, really affordable (less than $100).

My gen is a 22kw and the ATS takes care of that. The gen is not connected to my Sol-Ark. The gen powers the main panel if/when grid is down. I didn't want to put a 22kw gen on the Sol-Ark, seemed a waste since the gen can do I think somewhere around 90A. It was installed when I built the home so I figured leave it where its at. Its been working great and the old saying "don't mess with success" so I left gen connected to main panel via ATS.

The Sol-Ark can get AC power from main panel even when grid is down (since gen will start running and power the main panel), via the breaker in the main panel that's dedicated for the Sol-Ark, and pass power through over to the critical panel. The Sol-Ark detects when grid is down and stops sending power to main panel. The bi-directional breaker in the Sol-Ark works pretty well for this.

I had thought about an additional ATS , put it there so that if the Sol-Ark dies, it would sense no power and automatically put my critical loads panel on the main panel (that's powered by the grid). But I decided to not worry about the Sol-Ark dying, and so I left my freezer and fridge on the main panel. The main panel is solar assisted (as much as possible) since I am using the "Limited to Home" feature on the Sol-Ark.

Comment

Working...