X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • df0rster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2018

Which Inverter? Opinions please

As described in another post, I am adding onto my system. I already have an Outback skybox as my main house inverter and it has about 6kw of panels, so at its limit. I'm adding a second array of about 5kw (maybe up to 8kw eventually) back on my shop roof and will locate this new inverter in the shop. I think it will be AC coupled to the skybox as you can pass through about 8kw via AC coupling. (I think I'm using the right terms and explanations). So I am looking for a lower cost inverter option for this second system.

I am not very familiar with GroWatt or their inverters. However they seem very reasonable priced for what you get. A 7.6Kw is about $1200 and it is a hybrid style so you can add batteries. It is also fully compliant with UL1741SA, CA Rule 21 & HECO. And has a 10 year warranty. The Skybox runs around $4200 now. I'm not sure why it is so expensive or if it's worth 3x more than these newer hybrids. Mine has been pretty much flawless so far, so maybe you get what you pay for on these things. I guess the secondary system won't be as critical so I can afford to take a chance..

Solis also has a 7.6kw that looks very similar. The Growatt is about $100 cheaper and 1% more effecient, and weighs about half as much. Not sure why, I'm sure somebody here knows. I tend to think things like this should be heavier but I'm sure that's not always the case.

To compare, the 7.0kw SMA sunny boy is about the same price as the Solis, also about the same weight and effeciency (60 lbs and 97.5%). It is not a hybrid inverter so no battery input. Not sure I need batteries on this system but someday if I ever go off grid it would be nice to have the extra space in teh shop to put extra batteries.

Any opinions on these?

Thanks!
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

I'll just say that the three most important considerations when choosing an inverter are:
    1) reliability

2) reliability

3) reliability
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• df0rster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by solarix
      I'll just say that the three most important considerations when choosing an inverter are:
      1) reliability

2) reliability

3) reliability
      Agreed! Now I just need to know which ones are reliable. There’s not a lot of info available on these units.

btw- I’ll move this to the equipment section of I can figure out how. Just realized there is a separate section for equipment questions.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Moved to Equipment forum

I am very happy with the reliability I have received from my Schneider Conext xw6048 & xw6848 ( both are high end hybrid models ).
        You will need a piece of gear to do initial programming with, but once programmed, extra gear is not needed for it to simply run
        The Schneider Electric XW Pro 6848 solar inverter provides flexible design with optional generator integration for homes and small businesses.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...