Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun Power positive ground panels with dead inverter

Solarpals:

My brother has a 14 year old Sun Power system with 24 panels and a Sun Power inverter made by SMA. The system requires an inverter that can handle panels that use a positive ground. Apparently modern inverters cannot do that. He contacted SMA, and they cannot service it and apparently do not have anything in their current lineup (hey nice pun) that will fit the bill. I saw this inverter on Ebay SunnyBoy 4000TL-US-22 and wonder if it can do the job. None of the inverters I have looked at seem to list ground capabilities. Thoughts here? Sun Power cannot help him either. They just want to sell him a new system.

Originally posted by dndrich View Post
    Solarpals:

My brother has a 14 year old Sun Power system with 24 panels and a Sun Power inverter made by SMA. The system requires an inverter that can handle panels that use a positive ground. Apparently modern inverters cannot do that. He contacted SMA, and they cannot service it and apparently do not have anything in their current lineup (hey nice pun) that will fit the bill. I saw this inverter on Ebay SunnyBoy 4000TL-US-22 and wonder if it can do the job. None of the inverters I have looked at seem to list ground capabilities. Thoughts here? Sun Power cannot help him either. They just want to sell him a new system.
    I would not buy it without first calling SMA and finding out if it will work. Also based on my experience with SMA if they say Yes it can work! I would then ask for a confirmation in writing via email. I got some really bad info from them on the phone and once I requested it in writing the guy actually asked the higher up techs to confirm his statement and then promptly sent an email to me retracting the statement he made on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyg View Post

I would not buy it without first calling SMA and finding out if it will work. Also based on my experience with SMA if they say Yes it can work! I would then ask for a confirmation in writing via email. I got some really bad info from them on the phone and once I requested it in writing the guy actually asked the higher up techs to confirm his statement and then promptly sent an email to me retracting the statement he made on the phone.
      What he was told is correct. This is a real problem replacing inverters.

Here's one that I believe will work https://www.ebay.com/itm/13377527584...IAAOSwqv5gsqXb

Andy

Comment

I'm facing the same issue with my 14 year Sunpower SPR 3200 and positive grounded Sunpower 215 black module panels. What are our options besides buying something off of Ebay that may or may not be in good condition. Newer inverters such as SMA Sunny Boy 3.0 can not be adapted to work?

Comment

ebay has a return period of 30 days, just get one, install it quickly and return if does not work. Generally speaking, if they work, they tend to work for a very long time. you can also join facebook search for solar installers group and ask them for advice.

Comment

The older transformer based Fronius inverters can be switched between negative ground and positive ground. You can still find them on flea...I mean e-bay.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am moving towards installing an SMA SB 4000 (2012) unused which is supposed to work with positive ground SunPower panels. Hopefully, the 15 year-old panels will last the full 25 years and I'll be back on solar for many years to come. I'm sure there are consequences to all of this and that is the nature of the solar industry at this point. So many regulations and hoops to jump through when city and monopoly utilities rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda Hernandez View Post
                Thanks for the encouraging words! I am moving towards installing an SMA SB 4000 (2012) unused which is supposed to work with positive ground SunPower panels. Hopefully, the 15 year-old panels will last the full 25 years and I'll be back on solar for many years to come. I'm sure there are consequences to all of this and that is the nature of the solar industry at this point. So many regulations and hoops to jump through when city and monopoly utilities rule.
                That inverter will work. Make sure to make the jumper changes to set for positive ground

Andy

Comment

I am up and running. SMA SB 4000 is working well with my positive grounded 15-year old SunPower panels. I also just received the backordered Tesla Powerwall 2 today. When it rains it pours (hopefully not on my solar array in the middle of summer). I'm in the process of charging the battery so it will be a few days before I can see how the system will work together. Thanks for all your informed posts.

Comment

After almost 3 weeks, the 15-year old SunPower system with Tesla Powerwall 2 has generated 381 Kw and saved over 647 lbs. of emissions. My home has minimal needs and we require approx. 334 Kw per month. I have the Tesla app set to 20% minimum battery storage. If anyone has any other tips as to how to make my system operate more efficiently please let me know. I live in an area that often has marine layer coverage that blocks out the sun. At best my system seems to create about 2500 watts. At first, the system seemed to operate at 100% sustainable levels now it's closer to 68-70%. Again any suggestions would be appreciated. All in all I'm pretty happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda Hernandez View Post
                      After almost 3 weeks, the 15-year old SunPower system with Tesla Powerwall 2 has generated 381 Kw and saved
                      Do you mean 381 Kw HOURS? Bruce Roe

Comment

My usage is probably closer to 450 Kw hours so I may be generating enough power to sustain 100% for the month during the summer. I am learning from this board but have a long way to go....

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post

Do you mean 381 Kw HOURS? Bruce Roe
                          Make that 381 kW HOURS. S.I. unit abbreviations named after people capitalized as a mark of respect.

Comment

How does one tell if the sunpower panels are positive ground? A multimeter connected to the mc4 connectors will show a negative voltage reading?

Comment

Working...
                            X