X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murby
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by nerdralph

Thanks for the data point. It seems most inverters will clip quite close to their nominal output rating. I recently started testing a Solis 1P6K-4G-US with a single string. The specs, like the Sunny Boy, state the maximum MMPT current per string is 10A. So far I've seen it hit 10.2A, so it doesn't have a hard limit at 10.2A, even if it might not be at the maximum power point on the I-V curve.
    Its not just the amps, voltage plays an equal part.

I would surmise that cold temps allow inverters to sneak above their published ratings in two ways.. 1) Cold temperatures cause PV arrays to increase voltage 2) Those cold temperatures provide better cooling to the inverters themselves.

I would bet, all things being equal, an inverter located outside on a cold day will produce more energy than an inverter located in someone's basement. Just guessing, but I can tell you that when my inverter (located outside) is kicking out full power, the heat sink fins are normally pretty warm.. but when its 10 degrees outside, they remain very cool, if not downright cold.

Comment

Working...