Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phr3ak
    • Feb 2021

Span.io and backfeeding two panels

New to the forum and new to solar with some electrical and solar knowledge but many folks out there with way more smarts that me. So, thank you for the wisdom and advice in advance. Apologies if the questions I have don’t even make sense due to my lack of knowledge.

I currently have two main panels fed in parallel from the meter with 150A main breakers each and 150A bus ratings. I am looking to add solar panels to achieve 105% of my current electricity use. I have an all-electric house with two heat pump HAVC systems, an 80 gallon hot water heater, a freezer, and the rest of the standard appliances. I use, on average, approximately 2300kWh a month and have been quoted systems with 58 to 60 solar panels to meet my needs. That seems like the easy part.

I am planning to install a ground mount, grid-tied, whole home battery backup system. The catch is whole home battery backup is not really that practical for my amount of usage. So, I am looking at the Span.io panel(s) to allow for automated (and manual) control over the circuits receiving power from the solar array and or batteries during a grid down condition. The battery connections are not that much of an issue, one battery per panel however, the solar connection is the question. I know I could go with a critical loads panel but that’s not really the type of system I’m looking for.

My first question, does anyone here have any experience with the Span panels? I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences, good or bad. They are a relatively new company and new product so there’s not a lot out there that I can find about it at this point.

Second, and the technical question. As I understand it, the Span panels have a 200A bus bar rating. Unfortunately, they have no current transformer so I would not be able to monitor the solar power in a supply side application within their system therefore, needing to use a backfeed breaker configuration. While I don’t mind that, the solar array will produce approximately 87A and the panel would be limited to a 40A backfeed breaker unless I down rated the main breaker to 150A. Probably never an issue but could be. The problem I see with this is that in a grid down condition, the only panel that will see solar power is the one with the backfeed breaker as the grid cutoff is in each panel by design, which would isolate the panels from each other. So, is there a solution that will feed both panels with solar power when the grid is down? I believe I could split the solar array, half to each panel, but I’d rather not. Can the solar array be feed to both panels in parallel with a backfeed breaker in each panel? I have seen that configuration with generators. Would it work with a solar panel array? Is that a bad idea?

Thank you again!
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

​​​​While you did not list the array size, I am guessing from the 87A output the inverters
    total 21KW, perhaps 60 X 350W panels. With equipment comparable to yours I
    have been limited to a 60A backfeed from a pair of 7.5KW inverters. This has been
    achieved by facing some panels east, some south, and some west. A 7.5KW
    inverter fed by strings of each type does not exceed 31A, but the daily interval of
    this current is much longer than a simple south facing array. This makes the
    inverter and other AC facilities better utilized, at some loss off efficiency for some of
    the solar panels. This utilization will be much degraded with micro inverters, with
    panels not sharing the same inverter, and the lower 240VAC transmission voltage
    either suffering significant power losses, or requiring FAR heavier wiring. I am
    attaching pics of this array and the inverter daily output power curve, the noontime
    peak notably absent, with little clipping. Annual output is 29,000 KWH, about what
    you requested, into a net metering setup. NET METERING uses my PoCo as an
    infinite capacity, 100% efficient, zero cost and maintenance, battery.

3Direction.JPG

NScurJn17.jpg

2300 KWH a month is completely out of the range of domestic backup battery systems.
    Would require initial cost and intensive long term maintenance of hundreds of very
    large batteries. I dealt with that problem decades ago with a cheap backup generator,
    has hardly been used since then. It can run the essential loads (here the well, fridge,
    freezer, and furnace) till the power comes back, full scale long term power would need
    a larger auto transfer propane, natural gas, diesel, or gasoline gen set. The only battery
    in my setup is the one used to start the IC engine. Bruce Roe

Comment

• phr3ak
      • Feb 2021

Thank you, Mr. Row. The quoted production is 25.5kW so you were right there with your estimate. I agree, batteries are not going to cover all my use. A critical loads panel is the usual way to go as I understand it but I'm looking to have a bit more control over things with this setup. Any thoughts regarding the Span panels or parallel feeds to the two panels from the solar array? I like the ingenious way you leveled your power generation over the day with panels facing different directions. I am in an area that still provides 1:1 net metering, for about another six months so trying to get in under the wire. Thank you again for the advice.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by phr3ak
        Thank you, Mr. Row. The quoted production is 25.5kW so you were right there with your estimate. I agree, batteries are not going to cover all my use. A critical loads panel is the usual way to go as I understand it but I'm looking to have a bit more control over things with this setup. Any thoughts regarding the Span panels or parallel feeds to the two panels from the solar array? I like the ingenious way you leveled your power generation over the day with panels facing different directions. I am in an area that still provides 1:1 net metering, for about another six months so trying to get in under the wire. Thank you again for the advice.
        Others before me have used multi directional panel alignments, but the scheme
        has been very successful here. Better snow rejection and a much improved ratio
        of cloudy performance to equipage (problems here) are also achieved. I see
        it as a way for you to feed 31A into each of your 2 electrical panels, with 40A
        breakers. Probably not practical using no brain micro-inverters. Sorry, no
        specific knowledge of Span panels. good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...