Question, what device do i need to connect two solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question, what device do i need to connect two solar panels

i have a power station and only have peak sunlight for about 5 hours. I wanted to know what do i need to buy to connect the two panels together to deliver more power

Welcome to the forum. More details would really help, such as the make/model of the equipment and panels.

Comment

Your 2 panels need to be pretty much the same, and your charge controller / regulator needs to be rated to handle the extra power

Generally, you could use a simple pair of MC4 Y connectors to parallel them, or a MC4 M-F jumper if your controller is MPPT and can convert the extra volts to amps
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

PAXCESS Rockman 500W Portable Power Station, I thought i could daisy chain my two panels lg 305w lg305nicb3 panels

Comment

thanks, im getting my panels today, ill let yall know

Comment

If we're looking at the same model, the solar input specs are "11-24V 120W Max", I think you'll exceed the input voltage and power with even one of those panels, and possibly do some damage.

Comment

Originally posted by sdold View Post
              If we're looking at the same model, the solar input specs are "11-24V 120W Max", I think you'll exceed the input voltage and power with even one of those panels, and possibly do some damage.
              I will agree with sdold. That Rockman is not designed for high wattage input.

Your original question about what equipment you need to use 2 solar panels. IMO you need to rethink using that 500w portable power station unless you are getting those low wattage Rockman panels.
              Last edited by SunEagle; 02-01-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

sorry that 300w panel was bought used, it barely outputtting 5w, i bought 2 100 watt panels from HD, im using them now

Comment

Originally posted by placez View Post
                  sorry that 300w panel was bought used, it barely outputtting 5w, i bought 2 100 watt panels from HD, im using them now
                  If that 300w panel is only producing 5w then it is a door stop and should be disposed of.

As for 2 x 100 watt panels being used to charge that Rockman. Well maybe if you point each in a different direction so you never exceed the 120w max input that their specs mention.

Comment

thank yall for all the help

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

If that 300w panel is only producing 5w then it is a door stop and should be disposed of.
                      I always thought bad panels would be handy if kept and mounted at the bottom of an array in an easy-to-access position, to act as a sort of sacrificial anode or "low hanging fruit" for thieves. heh heh

Comment

Working...
                      X