LG Integrated Microinverters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LG Integrated Microinverters

We have received an extremely attractive quote for a system using LG's new NeON2 ACe panels with the integrated LG microinverter (we have a total of 11 quotes with various configurations). We know someone who has the NeON R ACe units and loves the monitoring interface compared to what they had in their old house with the Enphase Enlighten system. Yes, we know that LG is new to the microinverter world compared to Enphase, but does anyone have any actual experience with problems with the LG units? And, given that they are offering a 25 year manufacturer's warranty, is there a downside to going with this?

Does the warranty cover diagnosing and labor for the micros, or only the replacement parts ? (parts cheap, labor high)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I never have understood the advantage of mating a super reliable solar PV panel to a much less reliable electronic module operating in a high temperature, hostile and hard to service environment. They know these modules will not last 25 years - the warranty is a sales gimmick. And when the inverter electronics dies, you get to throw away the whole panel - smart. Name me any other consumer level electronic device that is warrantied for more than 5 years....
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

There seems to be zero reliability data available on LG microinverters. That is scary.

I agree that a roof is a hostile environment. But there are worse. Consider under-hood of a car. It isn't hot for 10,000 hours, but when the car is running, it is VERY hot. We routinely test to 175C 1000 hour life for underhood electronics. Compared to that, the roof is a stroll in the park.

The Enphase IQ7 series has demonstrated that high reliability is possible in rooftop microinverters. I don't know if they will make it for 25 years, but there's nothing fundamental stopping that. The industry knows how to make long-life solder joints, long-life electrolytic capacitors, and how to avoid other electronic and electric wear-out phenomena.

Also, don't put solar in the same category as consumer electronics (cell phones, MP3 players, etc.) The material requirements and testing standards are much more severe for solar.

Yet garbage still makes it through that testing, for both ground string inverters and rooftop electronics. Solar's biggest weakness seems to be the first few years of the model, when the maker is still getting bugs out and field issues haven't been fully comprehended and resolved.

If I were you, I'd avoid something new like the LG microinverter or the APsystems QS1 microinverter. Wait, I bought the QS1s for my home. Oops. Do as I say, not as I do.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

I don't think there's a down side to keeping the module separate

Comment

Lg loan, gave money to Enphase back in 2017. They had some kind of collaboration for the micro inverters for the New neon ace panels. They are
            Enphase micro inverters in LG box. No other possibility. It would be a 100 million mistake any other way.
            https://energycentral.com/news/lg-so...enphase-energy

Comment

I am not a fan of the whole Micro Inverter technology for the same reasons stated above. I would consider them for a ground mount installation but would not touch them for a roof installation due to the difficulty and expense of replacing a panel when it is possibly in the middle of a cluster of panels. The Benefits of individual panel monitoring will quickly wear off and the downside of clipping is not offset by any of the benefits.

With that said per LG's website you are pretty much totally covered under the 25 year warranty for a ground mount system.

If a panel needs replacing, we won’t just cover the cost of the materials, we’ll cover the labor (labor costs in the rare case of a needed module repair or replacement are covered up to $450), too. Ensuring your investment is protected and helping you avoid unexpected expenses. Now, that’s a lot of love.

I don't think $450 will cover the total expense of a truck roll to replace a panel on the roof, but that would certainly vary state to state.

I prefer to keep the items exposed to the elements as simple as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X