Disconnects and inverter locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnects and inverter locations

It's my understanding that for solar there needs to be an outside disconnect available to cut power to the inverter, and that if the inverter is located inside there would also need to be another disconnect there. With NEC 2020 requiring a full service disconnect outside, I'm curious if that would satisfy the outside inverter disconnect requirement as well?

That's going to depend a lot on what your local inspector wants to see.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by telero View Post
      It's my understanding that for solar there needs to be an outside disconnect available to cut power to the inverter, and that if the inverter is located inside there would also need to be another disconnect there. With NEC 2020 requiring a full service disconnect outside, I'm curious if that would satisfy the outside inverter disconnect requirement as well?
      Every AHJ I've dealt with requires a 'visible' and 'lockable' AC disconnect. You need to be able to open the disconnect and visibly confirm the circuit is broken so a breaker or switch won't work. Something like a square D 'DU221RB' should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        That's going to depend a lot on what your local inspector wants to see.
        I figured that would be a part of it. Mostly wanting to make sure it's actually practical and technically correct.

Originally posted by nwdiver View Post

Every AHJ I've dealt with requires a 'visible' and 'lockable' AC disconnect. You need to be able to open the disconnect and visibly confirm the circuit is broken so a breaker or switch won't work. Something like a square D 'DU221RB' should work.
        Good point. I was thinking about a lockable AC disconnect like you mentioned for the full service disconnect, but I wonder if that would be practical or cost efficient. I hadn't searched for pricing on something that large (compared to the 30A model you mentioned). This would be a 12kW solar, ideally line side tap. Pretty sure I'd need a 60A disconnect. For a whole home disconnect would that mean I'd need a disconnect of at least 260A? Seem like one large enough to handle that wouldn't be worth it for cost. A couple of smaller disconnects (one outside, one inside) for the inverter only will probably be better. Trying to keep everything as clean/tidy as possible. Ideally all conduit will be in-wall. We don't have NEC 2020 (yet), and I'm not sure how that's going to be handled around here. Typically I don't see combination panels or any sort of outdoor panels. Not sure if that's local code/regulation or PoCo requirements.

Comment

Having a disconnect within sight (50' max) of the inverter is in the code, but AHJs around here never have required it when the inverter is inside the house. Our utility has always required a lockout AC disconnect on the outside near the service, but no one does a second one. I suppose the 2020 code is going to solve another non-existent problem...

Be aware that some AHJ's don't go for SQ-D DU222RB disconnect because the fine print on the label says that it is only listed for use with overcurrent protection fuses and not breakers. Best to use an Eaton DG222URB
          BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by telero View Post

This would be a 12kW solar, ideally line side tap. Pretty sure I'd need a 60A disconnect.
            60A 2 pole disconnects are pretty cheap and easy to find. It's the 100A and higher where they get spendy. The disconnect size is based on the inverter capacity not the panels. I would just pair a 11.4kW inverter (48A) with a 60A disconnect.

Comment

Working...
            X