No announcement yet.

Solar Pergola Racking Recommenation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solar edge optimizers handle RSD, but having optimizers on a shade free big array like yours does nothing, because there is nothing to optimize, except for uneven snowfall, covering some panels I guess. the downside is the optimizers use a trickle amount of energy with no "optimization" for the non snowy days. not sure how much the energy is. unshaded pergola/gazebo is perfect candidate for less expensive string inverters.

Comment

There is thick line of trees along our property line (east), we have shading up through about 10am, depending on the time of the year.. Once the sun gets past the trees we are good.

Comment

Originally posted by heimdm View Post
        There is thick line of trees along our property line (east), we have shading up through about 10am, depending on the time of the year.. Once the sun gets past the trees we are good.
        a linear shade line like that is not a problem with normal string inverters because they have 2 or more MPPT's. So just set lower row to one mppt and 2nd unshaded row to another mppt. might be trickier with your huge array, for most homes, pretty easy to do.

Disclaimer, do the home work, dont' assume stuff applies to the situation and do not click on the spam links below every post that state How much do solar panels cost? or How can I get a qutoe form an Installer?
        This website raises money with those links and sells your information to solar loan companies that want to sell you typically overpriced loans.

Comment

Quick update... . concrete work should be happening in the next 2-3 weeks and structure installation will happen about a month later.

Comment

Concrete work is expected to happen in 2 weeks. Building permit for the shed next to the array that the inverters will go in. It is a 32' x 16' building with a 16' x 12' loft. Hoping with luck by mid to late June, we will be placing panels.

Comment

Concrete work has not happened yet, should be happening in the next couple of weeks. The steel pergola is being fabricated and is slated for installation in July. I was hoping for an earlier date, but that is when the installer/fabricator is available to deliver and install. The rise in commodity prices has pushed up some pricing, but mostly contractor availability is very tight this spring.

I did get plans for the detached garage that will go next to the array. This is where the inverters will be housed. Essentially, the detached garage is a 32' x 16' footprint, with a roof slope that closely follows the array. The conduit is all in place for extending the data network out there, so that inverters can use a wired connection.

Comment

DC Optimizers arrived today (p485). Concrete work has been pushed out until the week of May 25th. I really hope it happen on this date. The detached garage that is supposed to go next to the array, I am still awaiting pricing on.... considering the constant rising of building material pricing, that has me a little bit worried. I am looking at putting the inverts on the north side of the house. That is about 200 feet away from the array. The north side of the array is mostly shaded most of the day, so if the inverters have to be outside, probably not a bad place of them. If I have to do this route, I plan to fuse at the array and then combine the 3 strings together, and run 4 awg wire up to the house, where the wires will hit the SPD, and then go to the inverter. That alternative approach is definitely less than ideal.

Comment

I forget the size of the array. I'm guessing it's too big to tie into a new main breaker panel for the detached garage? seems ineffcient to run a MBP line to the detach garage and a solar line set back to the house if it could all be done on one set of wires.

I went to lowes yesterday and they have removed all the lumber price stickers and replaced them with digital price signs. a piece of 3/4" plywood is now $60, about double what it was a year ago. Steel studs are also more expensive! I'd wait and build it when prices go back down. it's ridiculous now.

Comment

DC Optimizers arrived today (p485).
                    I am looking at putting the inverts on the north side of the house. That is about 200 feet away from the array.

I plan to fuse at the array and then combine the 3 strings together, and run 4 awg wire up to the house,
                    where the wires will hit the SPD, and then go to the inverter.
                    Conducting your combined DC currents a distance of 200', using a 480' loop of
                    4 ga copper wire amounts to about 0.12 ohms.

If a 33KW DC output is possible and transmission is at 300VDC, a current of
                    110A is possible, causing a voltage loss of 13.2V or about 4.4% loss. At 400VDC
                    it becomes 83A, causing a voltage loss of 10V or about 2.5% loss.

I would feel, that is pushing 4ga way too hard, and with too much loss. With DC
                    feeds combined to a single feed, you might reduce both the losses and the cost
                    by running something like 2/0 aluminum Triplex instead of 4ga copper. Even a bit
                    larger is cheap enough, if you can deal with the termination problems. Getting
                    that into conduit is not a problem I wanted, a 24 inch deep trench allows direct
                    burial.The 3rd wire of Triplex is smaller, for neutral or ground. Aluminum needs
                    go about 2 gauges larger, to match losses of copper.

Optimizers need to communicate, to operate correctly, can they do that at 200'?
                    Bruce Roe

Comment

In my setup we are running to 3x inverters (11.4kw each). Each string of optimizers supports up to 15 amps, x 3, should get us to 45 amps on each set of 4 guage. At 45 amps, is that still too much for 4 guage?

Comment

In my setup we are running to 3x inverters (11.4kw each). Each string of optimizers supports up to 15 amps, x 3, should get us to 45 amps on each set of 4 guage. At 45 amps, is that still too much for 4 guage?
                        OK, with 3 branches (not one) your total loses will be divided by 3 (loses in each
                        4 ga divided by 9), I would call that acceptable. I ran for years with 60A thru 4ga,
                        but was not happy with the whole run getting warm every sunny day. Bruce Roe

Comment

Excavation for the footers began today. These are the footers that will hold the pergola. Instead of running the inverters up to the north side of the house. I think we are going to place them under the array/pergola. It's not totally protected or hidden from sun (LG bifacial) , but should be mostly protected from direct contact with weather elements. This will save a lot of expense on cabling up to the house, and reduce energy loss due to cabling. Looks like the detached garage I was going to put the inverters in, will be delayed until we get some stablization in lumber/construction costs.
                          Attached Files

Comment

looking good, how much us the structure and foundation going to cost with labor? I remember reading you got a $100K quote which was too expensive, how much did you wind up paying?

Comment

Ended up getting it for about 30k after rebates/credits.

Comment

After challenges around my excavating/concrete sub-contractor for the pergola foundation, the project is back on track. The concrete pour is happening on Monday. I added some pictures of all the prep work that is now complete. One of the foundation holes is close to the network of natural springs that exist on my property.
                                UFER-Ground.jpeg
                                anchor-bolt-template.jpeg
                                site-overview-W.jpegsite-overview-N.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                                X