No announcement yet.

Solar Pergola Racking Recommenation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its largely driven by my developer/HoA, requirements. So trying to do a covered patio that just happens to hold solar panels. Per HoA, solar has to be integrated into a structure.

Comment

Originally posted by heimdm View Post
      Its largely driven by my developer/HoA, requirements. So trying to do a covered patio that just happens to hold solar panels. Per HoA, solar has to be integrated into a structure.
      What kind of structure ? One in which the ability to mount an array is an afterthought ? An existing structure ?

Consider the effects on array size/output per installed STC kW as f(tilt angle, array azimuth). In their well meaning but solar ignorant thinking, your HOA may be thinking a (close to) horizontal array orientation.

Suit yourself, but for several reasons, such a mostly horizontal orientation is probably not a good one for most residential applications, particularly as latitudes go up and winter conditions bring less sun/more snow.

PV can work in such climates, but some unfortunate and PITA inducing considerations are usually necessary that can effect cost effectiveness and practicality.

Comment

Its largely driven by my developer/HoA, requirements. ......
        To that point what state are you located in? Different states have different regulations with respect to what influence an HOA can have over a solar installation.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

The wonderful state of Indiana.

Comment

The wonderful state of Indiana.
            See Indiana bill HB 1331 and check progress.

Comment

Did receive HoA approval for the solar structure today. Waiting for a quote to level the area, as the backyard has a 6-8 degree slope.

Comment

Someone should can Ampster. He is dangerous continuously giving bad advice. If this were a professional forum would have been booted the day he showed up.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

In my opinion, Ampster does give good advice. He may not be perfect. But I think he is a valuable contributor to the forum.
                  7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    Someone should can Ampster. He is dangerous continuously giving bad advice. If this were a professional forum would have been booted the day he showed up.
                    I have repeatedly offered to correct any incorrect information that I have posted. I have heard nothing from you about advice that is incorrect.
                    Don't worry, I spend more time on other forums talking about the LFP cells from China and the latest Tesla battery chemistry. There is not much interest in those topics here.

Last edited by Ampster; 09-17-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

I have repeatedly offered to correct any incorrect information that I have posted. I have heard nothing from you about advice that is incorrect.
                      Don't worry, I spend more time on other forums talking about the LFP cells from China and the latest Tesla battery chemistry. There is not much interest in those topics here.

As long as you're responding to SK's post (who you seem to want to call sun flake every now and again for some reason), IMO it's not that your information is always incorrect, although some of it is. It's more that a lot of it is bad, incomplete and/or can lead to problems you're too technically ignorant to understand.

A lot of technical information is usually mostly right or mostly wrong. Opinion is a lot less dichotomous with less right/wrong.

You're long on opinion and short on accurate information when your short on the technical aspects of what you post about.

A lot of your postings about technical matters are, IMO only, little more than hearsay and/or opinion so ill informed and simplistic that it causes problems and would be an embarrassment to you if you knew more.

You, this forum and all reading it would be better off if you simply stuck to what you actually know and can factually back up and verify.

When I'm ignorant about something, I usually keep my mouth and typing fingers still. I've found I cause fewer problems for others that way. It also seems the respectful thing to do.
                      Also, if people suspect I'm an arrogant ignoramus about something and I am, seems to make more sense for me to keep quiet about it than confirm my shortcomings to others in writing.
                      Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-18-2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I am interested to hear what design the HOA approved for the project @heimdm is planning.

Perhaps the moderators could move the above irrelevant posts to their own thread so i can respond without hijacking the OPs thread.

Last edited by Ampster; 09-18-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The overall plan that was approved including landscaping and a patio. The fence already exists today. The focus was on the pergola/patio and not the solar aspect. One of those span's (left to right) will actually be enclosed, and form a garage/storage area, which is also where the inverters will go. If I had the option of a traditional ground mount, that would have been the cheaper, easier, simpler option. Since we were considering doing a nice patio area as well , then this can make sense, and pulls both idea together. I don't recommend this, if another option was available. In our case, the way the language is written for the C&CR's, once the structure is approved, you can add solar as long as it is integrated to the architecture design.
                          solar-rending.jpgforum-overview.jpg

Comment

Were they specific about the materials?

Comment

Not at all. Our HoA is really just our developer. As a result, what she cares about is that it makes it easier for her to sell her remaining lots. The owners should have taken over the HoA by now, but they have no desire to.

Comment

Not at all. Our HoA is really just our developer. As a result, what she cares about is that it makes it easier for her to sell her remaining lots. The owners should have taken over the HoA by now, but they have no desire to.
                                What a different world. I am out of touch with California real estate regulations but it used to be that sales of PUDs, Condos or the like could not close until at least 50% of the homes were sold. The theory was the Department of Real Estate did not want the developers controlling the HOA. It may be different now.

Comment

Working...
                                X