X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davecason
    • Jun 2020

big panels and bad controllers

Hi Gang,

A year ago I bought a Morningstar Pro 30 PWM controller ..... I had this hooked up to one of those 100 watt coleman 12v panels ..... that in turn fed a Optima Blue top AGM battery in a battery box and all was well.

Recently I got a deal on a single CanadianSolar module and it is a: SC3U-380MS Pmax=380W Vmp=40.0V Imp=9.50 Voc=47.8 Isc=10.01A (its a big boy !!)

So to make sure it was happy I checked the spec's on that ProStar 30 and it said 60v is fine so I bought the panel. Now on page 28 buried in the manual it says that's bad and the guys at Morningstar say it's also bad because it'll stress the controller. (sigh) So now I gotta change it ....

Someone suggested a EPEVER Tracer3210AN - what do you think ? That one or a Tracer2215BN do you guys think either one of those MPPT charge controllers would be happier on the system?

Keep in mind that for now I'm only feeding the one single Optima Blue Top AMG battery:

Model: D34M
    Weight: 43.5 lb
    Capacity: 55 Ah
    Post Type: Dual SAE & 5/16 Stainless Stud
    CCA: 750 Amp
    Width: 6.88 in
    Length: 10.06 in
    Height: 7.94 in
    Reserve Capacity @25 Amps: 120 Minutes
    Voltage: 12 Volts
    Group Size: BCI: 34
    Internal Resistance: 0.0028
    CA: 870 Amp
    MCA:870

Cheers'
    Dave
  • secessus
    • Apr 2020

Originally posted by davecason
    So to make sure it was happy I checked the spec's on that ProStar 30 and it said 60v is fine so I bought the panel.
    Now on page 28 buried in the manual it says that's bad
    Feel free to attach the panel and use it, you'll just get ~50% the expected output. That halved output will still be more than a 55A AGM requires (11A) and pretty close to the max it will accept (~18A). On the upside, you'll be totally immune to temperature derating.

Originally posted by davecason
    Someone suggested a EPEVER Tracer3210AN - what do you think ? That one or a Tracer2215BN do you guys think either one of those MPPT charge controllers would be happier on the system?
    The EpEver A and BN series are both tough and will work fine. The A-series costs less and IMO has a faster, more robust MPPT algorithm..

The 30A is appropriately sized. I am a fan of (mild-to-moderate) overpaneling but I would not put 380w of panel on a 20A controller.

Last edited by secessus; 06-26-2020, 12:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• davecason
      • Jun 2020

Yea, ....... (sigh)

So do you think it'll be remotely OK with a EPEVER and yep, I'm going to get their EPEVER Tracer 4215BN. I'll go with BN because of the better quality.

Do you think that'll work? I know shot myself in the foot by going blindly with the spec on the Morningstar but maybe I can get it to behave with a better
      controller I did get the panel from a buddy for free ......

Thanks for the help I'm a newbie but you can't tell can you? (grin)

Cheers'
      Dave

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

One ambiguity that can cause confusion is that the input of a CC or inverter will be exposed, at times, to the panel's Voc at the coldest likely ambient temperature rather than just the nominal Vmp of the panel. But the panel specs feature the Vmp.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• davecason
          • Jun 2020

I wish I knew what you just said ! (grin)

So are you saying in very cold weather that at some point the Charge Controller might see the panels max out out of the Voc instead the the normal expected Vmp?

That being the case how much of an issue is that when the Charge Controller and it's published spec is still 60 volts?

pro30.png

I've had this Pro30 gen 3 now for quite a while ....I said oh a new panel great, and its got a Vmp of 40.0 OK fine - yes its Voc is up at 47.8 but I should still be good after the
          sheet attached above says 60 volts !!!

As a newbie all I can do is read the spec ...... then later in talking with Mornginstar the guy was like Noooo! Bad Juju ....you'll stress the heck out of the controller.and then
          he quotes a line I didn't see ..... (grin) Way down on page 28 ...... in a wee small box ....... DOH !!!

pro30page28.png

So - that's where I am now .... So what do you think can I get a new Tracer 4215Bn and will that make things "happier" with that single Optima?

As a note at some point I will probably swap out the AGM Optima and setup a string of four brand new flooded Group 24DC - 150 MIM deep cycle batteries and try using
          the new panel and the Tracer on them instead. Any comments or suggestions are very much appreciated ! And thanks for commenting !!

Cheers'
          Dave

Comment

• davecason
            • Jun 2020

HI Folks,

So I now have EPSOLAR Tracer 4215BN charge controller on a sub-miniature 6.5 foot by 3.5 foot module it’s a huge Canadiansolar CS3U-365-380MS .......
            When I set it up it blocks out the sun! (grin)

Anyway it's in and happy now and the panel and battery seem to be happy but I thought I'd run the setup by the experts here. So I have a rather large
            panel/module (380W @ 9.5a) hooked up now to a decent controller and one lonely Optima BlueTop 34DC AGM battery for now …..

So the panel is installed and working happily and here's what I set for the control parameters in the new Tracer 4215BN:

Battery Type: User
            Batt Amp Hours: 50a
            Temp Comp Coefficient: -3mv/C/2V
            Selected Voltage: 12 vdc
            Over Voltage Disconnect: 16.0 vdc
            Charging Limit Voltage: 15.0 vdc
            Over Voltage reconnect: 15.0 vdc
            Equalization Charge Voltage: 14.6 vdc
            Boost Charging Voltage: 14.4 vdc
            Float Charging Voltage: 13.4 vdc
            Boost Reconnect Voltage: 13.2 vdc
            Low Voltage Reconnect: 12.6 vdc
            Under Volt Reconnect: 12.2 vdc
            Under Volt Warning: 12.0 vdc
            Low Voltage Disconnect: 11.0 vdc
            Discharge Limit Voltage: 10.0 vdc
            Equalize Time Duration: 0 mins
            Boost Time Duration: 10 mins

So that’s what they’re set for now but ANY suggestions or ideas are welcome, I’m just a newbie getting in to Solar for fun so if you guys see something set
            wrong or have a suggestion or comment I’m all for it and I appreciate the help!

For example on page 9-10 of the manual it says:

(see pic)

And I can’t make heads or tails of what they’re saying?

Cheers’
            Dave

Attached Files

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

If that's a sealed optima battery, it should not have an EQ setting, or if you can't disable the EQ, set it to your Absorb voltage for 5 minutes.

for a long lifetime of your expensive battery, you need to get the battery data sheet and use it to program the charge controller
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• davecason
                • Jun 2020

Hi Mike !

How's it going, how's your Saturday? Yep, you are correct it's an AGM so I didn't pick SEALED or GEL from the menu choices - I went with USER so I could set each option separately.

I have the EQ set for 0 mins so it will never try to Equalize that battery. I didn't have the option to set the Boost to zero so it's at 10 mins as the lowest setting.

What do you think? I dunno if $230 is what I'd call expensive but I do what to do it right!

Optima BlueTOP Marine Duel Puropose P/N: BLUE 34DC

MCA = 870
                CCA = 750
                AH = 55
                RC = 120

Cheers'
                Dave

Comment

• secessus
                  • Apr 2020

> I didn't have the option to set the Boost to zero so it's at 10 mins as the lowest setting.

On these controllers "Boost" == Absorption stage, and should probably be maxxed out at 180mins or however high it will go. Not the same thing as EQ.

Comment

• davecason
                    • Jun 2020

Hey Secessus .....

In my limited play with the remote MT-50 controls today.......

If you pick GEL, FLOOD, or SEALED - you get what they give you - however if you select the batt type of: USER - it seems like you can change most settings, right ?!

But yea - same thing - under USER when I was in Boost Duration - the lowest I could pick was also 10 mins as well ?! Meh !?! I guess .....

Cheers'
                    Dave

Comment

• secessus
                      • Apr 2020

Right, the predefined profiles are hardcoded and the USER profile is user configurable, hopefully to the battery manufacturer's specs.
                      In this case they say Vabs/boost voltage is 14.7v (I am suggesting to hold this for 3 hours, see note at bottom).
                      Float at 13.2v - 13.8v until the sun goes down.

To clarify/muddy:

Mike was saying to zero out the EQ duration, or if not possible then neuter it by

1. settting the EQ voltage to the same as the Absorption voltage (Vabs, "boost" voltage), and
                      2. minimizing the EQ duration.

The absorption (boost) duration setting itself should, IMO, be maxed out as Absorption takes many hours in deeply cycled lead chemistry batteries. Probably more than 3 hours but 180mins is the max we have on the epsolar/epever units.

Optima's guidance linked above says to hold Vabs until acceptance <= 1A then hold for two more hours. For our purposes and with this controller we just set Absorption/boost duration to 3 hours.

Last edited by secessus; 07-11-2020, 08:26 PM. Reason: can't get teh ordered list to save

Comment

• davecason
                        • Jun 2020

Oh !

OK, well to make it easier - what of these would you change it TO please ?

Battery Type: User
                        Batt Amp Hours: 50a
                        Temp Comp Coefficient: -3mv/C/2V
                        Selected Voltage: 12 vdc
                        Over Voltage Disconnect: 16.0 vdc
                        Charging Limit Voltage: 15.0 vdc
                        Over Voltage reconnect: 15.0 vdc
                        Equalization Charge Voltage: 14.6 vdc
                        Boost Charging Voltage: 14.4 vdc
                        Float Charging Voltage: 13.4 vdc
                        Boost Reconnect Voltage: 13.2 vdc
                        Low Voltage Reconnect: 12.6 vdc
                        Under Volt Reconnect: 12.2 vdc
                        Under Volt Warning: 12.0 vdc
                        Low Voltage Disconnect: 11.0 vdc
                        Discharge Limit Voltage: 10.0 vdc
                        Equalize Time Duration: 0 mins
                        Boost Time Duration: 10 mins

Cheers'
                        Dave

Comment

• secessus
                          • Apr 2020

These are the proposed changes to meet manufacture, Mike, and my recommendations;

Batt Amp Hours: 55a
                          Equalization Charge Voltage: 14.7 vdc
                          Boost Charging Voltage: 14.7 vdc
                          Boost Time Duration: 180 mins

more info on these controllers
                          Last edited by secessus; 07-11-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

• davecason
                            • Jun 2020

Cool Thanks !

I'll go make the changes right now !

Much appreciated !

Cheers'
                            Dave

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

i'm going to suggest error on the side of caution and reduce the Boost ( Absorb) to 2 hours, and monitor the amps going into the battery (not the amps from the controller - those could go to power a load)

Sealed batteries really dislike overcharge and they vent gas (un-re-combined electrolyte) and that capacity is lost forever, when they are overcharged. AGM (SEALED) is somewhat resistant to sulfation and so if you monitor it's last 2 hours of charge, and see what the ending amps are, you can precisely set the Absorb time, which is better than guessing.

read up more about AGM here
                              Learn what differentiates Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries from other lead acid battery types
                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...