X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salts
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2019

Another SMA Error Code.

Inverter is making power fine but throwing error codes.

The first glitch was it started throwing Error Code 8503 (Monitoring has failed, input C detected). I had removed the C string of panels and hooked them to another inverter. When this error code shows up, I can reset it by going to the DEVICE PARAMETERS, EDIT PARAMETERS > DEVICE >OPERATION >RESET OPERATING DATA > RESET EVENTS. This causes the event to go away and the inverter operates normally.

Problem is, the Error Code 8503 keeps coming back. Sometimes three to five times per day. The inverter continues to make power, its just showing the error.

For the last 24 hours, the reset function stopped working and now I also get an Error Code 10120 (Currently permitted number of parameterizations exceeded) Which sounds like there is some counter inside that only lets you reset the error codes so many times.

Anyone have any idea on how to reset this entire inverter? Some kind of factory default or something?

Thanks,
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

This is going to be a long shot, but what the heck. I think you were clearing the event, but not the reason for the event (Hey inverter, no more String A attached). I don't know if this will get rid of Error Code 10120 however.

Installer screen > DC Side > String Failure Detection > Reset Operating Data > Select Restart Learning
    AND/OR Select Operating Condition OFF

My inverter has String failure detection set to OFF. I monitor the inverter everyday and would know very quickly if I have a string failure.

From the users manual:

"String-failure detection The self-learning string failure detection identifies to which of the three inverter DC inputs the strings are connected. The self-learning string failure detection identifies if the connected string is inoperable and is no longer contributing to the energy yield (e.g. due to damages such as a cable break) and monitors the input to which the defective string is connected. If the error persists, an event will be reported at the latest one day after the detection of the defective string. This prevents partial failures of the PV array from being undetected for a long time and which will result in yield losses. The self-learning string failure detections automatically identifies if a string has been repaired and resets the event. If the defective string should no longer be connected, the event must be reset manually."

Good luck.

Comment

• Salts
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by oregon_phil
      This is going to be a long shot, but what the heck. I think you were clearing the event, but not the reason for the event (Hey inverter, no more String A attached). I don't know if this will get rid of Error Code 10120 however.

Installer screen > DC Side > String Failure Detection > Reset Operating Data > Select Restart Learning
      AND/OR Select Operating Condition OFF

My inverter has String failure detection set to OFF. I monitor the inverter everyday and would know very quickly if I have a string failure.

From the users manual:

"String-failure detection The self-learning string failure detection identifies to which of the three inverter DC inputs the strings are connected. The self-learning string failure detection identifies if the connected string is inoperable and is no longer contributing to the energy yield (e.g. due to damages such as a cable break) and monitors the input to which the defective string is connected. If the error persists, an event will be reported at the latest one day after the detection of the defective string. This prevents partial failures of the PV array from being undetected for a long time and which will result in yield losses. The self-learning string failure detections automatically identifies if a string has been repaired and resets the event. If the defective string should no longer be connected, the event must be reset manually."

Good luck.

You are a genius! Thank you. Perhaps I should learn to read because I didn't see that in the manual.

Comment

• oregon_phil
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2019

I am not a genius, but a retired process/design engineer with Covid time on my hands. Generally, the SMA inverter is fine, but the documentation/support side does need some help. The new inverters are marvels of engineering and are very complicated. I would think on SMA's service side, they would have a well built decision tree for fault resolution. The more complicated the equipment, the more complicated the troubleshooting.

Comment

• Salts
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2019

Oh man, its so nice to get up in the morning and see the "Green OK" on the inverter and not the damn Red X Fault thing. Thanks again Oregon_Phil...

Comment

• oregon_phil
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2019

I hate that red LED. Lets hope this is your last SMA fault. With the SMA inverter, I don't claim victory over the inverter unless the fault doesn't happen for at least one or two weeks.

Comment

• Salts
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by oregon_phil
              I hate that red LED. Lets hope this is your last SMA fault. With the SMA inverter, I don't claim victory over the inverter unless the fault doesn't happen for at least one or two weeks.
              I think we're good. They've been very reliable.. and the fault codes have all been non-critical so its not like it has missed making any power. These damn things make me feel like a drug addict.. always checking my power levels and craving more.

Now if SMA would fix Sunny Explorer then I'd be really happy.

Comment

• Keepsake
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Salts

For the last 24 hours, the reset function stopped working and now I also get an Error Code 10120 (Currently permitted number of parameterizations exceeded) Which sounds like there is some counter inside that only lets you reset the error codes so many times.

Anyone have any idea on how to reset this entire inverter? Some kind of factory default or something?

Thanks,
                What remedy did you find to reset ? 10120 (Currently permitted number of parameterizations exceeded

Comment

Working...