Am I able to reduce the voltage of my solar panels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beanyboy57
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2012

Am I able to reduce the voltage of my solar panels?

I have 6 12v solar panels connected in series that are producing 96v to 102v. I would like to reduce the voltage to 90v maximum but can go as low as 60v minimum \. I don't want to go the the trouble of rewiring them on the roof, if that is possible. I am not an electrician but am quite capable. Is there something I can splice into the circuit to reduce the voltage by 10 volts or so?
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Nothing that I know of.
    "12v" panels are often 22Vmp and 27Voc, so on a cold morning, expect to see 162v coming off them. Maybe split the string in half ? What is the battery voltage you are trying to charge ?

I use a midnight classic 200 for my 180V string. With the Classic 150, you can go to nearly 200V using the hyperVoc feature on a 48V battery bank.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Beanyboy57
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2012

The inverter operates between 60 to 90v, the battery bank is 24v. So there is no way I can lower the DC voltage from the panels. OK I may have to rewire the panels to suit. Thank you.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Beanyboy57
        The inverter operates between 60 to 90v, the battery bank is 24v. So there is no way I can lower the DC voltage from the panels. OK I may have to rewire the panels to suit. Thank you.
        What inverter are you referring to with a 24 volt battery bank? Not making sense. Also what charge controller are you using?
        You should be able to remove one panel from the series string or create two strings of three panels.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Beanyboy57
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2012

I better explain myself a little more. I have a Victron 150/70 charge controller that looks after my 24v 540am/h battery bank, but quite often the battery is fully charged. So I thought I would divert the DC current (when it is not needed) to a Grid Tied inverter to ensure I am always using the maximum amount of wattage from my panels. The GTI can handle 50 to 90v DC input. The Victron CC was indicating that the voltage from the panels was 88 to 90v so I thought I would be okay but obviously I am not okay.
          I notice now that there are hybrid systems that automatically divert the current from a full battery bank out to the grid.

Comment

Working...