How dangerous is to use an AGM deep cycle battery with a cheap pwm charge controller?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wdc
    • Jul 2019

How dangerous is to use an AGM deep cycle battery with a cheap pwm charge controller?

Hello, I use this charge controller (CC):
    HS0055-228x228.png
    Probably the most used CC in the world, and probably one of the worse also, because is the cheaper one, It's a 12/24V 20A pwm chinese CC, my question is: ist it worth to buy an agm deep cycle battery and use it with this CC?. Good CC are expensive and hard to find, lots of Mppt chinese CC are known to be pwm and not real mppt.

will this cheap CC indeed damage a typical agm battery? It doesn't have any agm specific profile to charge and I even don't trust these are real 3 steps CC.

thanks in advance.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by wdc
    Hello, I use this charge controller (CC):
    HS0055-228x228.png
    Probably the most used CC in the world, and probably one of the worse also, because is the cheaper one, It's a 12/24V 20A pwm chinese CC, my question is: ist it worth to buy an agm deep cycle battery and use it with this CC?. Good CC are expensive and hard to find, lots of Mppt chinese CC are known to be pwm and not real mppt.

will this cheap CC indeed damage a typical agm battery? It doesn't have any agm specific profile to charge and I even don't trust these are real 3 steps CC.

thanks in advance.
    Well AGM batteries can usually handle a higher charge rate then a standard FLA type. But if you try to charge faster then C/7 you could cook the battery.

Since that CC is rated only 20A you could use a battery rated between 150Ah and 240Ah but that depends on if your panels can generate that 20 amps.

Comment

• wdc
      • Jul 2019

Thanks, my panels only can generate ~10,6 amps so I'm thinking about buying an 80 to 100Ah battery but I don't want to buy a better CC and also don't want to destroy an AGM battery so I'm undecided about wether to buy a "heavy duty" flooded lead one or an AGM battery. I have never own an AGM battery and I don't know if my current CC can handle it without damaging it.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

An AGM battery has/requires different charge voltage than a flooded battery, so I expect an AGM battery may not last as long as the warranty,
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

That charge controller has adjustable charging set points. Be sure the set points don't exceed the battery's specs.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• wdc
            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Mike90250
            An AGM battery has/requires different charge voltage than a flooded battery, so I expect an AGM battery may not last as long as the warranty,
            Yes, that's my biggest fear, to buy an AGM battery and that it last no more than a year or two. Thanks.

Comment

• wdc
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by littleharbor
              That charge controller has adjustable charging set points. Be sure the set points don't exceed the battery's specs.
              Thanks, the only useful voltage setting that you can change in this CC is the max charging voltage, I could set this to 14,4V.........14,7V max as the majority of the AGM batteries ask but that probably only means bulk charging, this CC has no settings for absorb or float voltages, let alone temp compensation.
              Last edited by wdc; 04-19-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• wdc
                • Jul 2019

Well, this is what I'm going to do (as soon as I can), first I'll buy another panel to increase my current from 10,6A to 13,4A, then I'm going to buy the heaviest 100Ah FLA battery I could find. Thanks.
                Last edited by wdc; 04-21-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• littleharbor
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by wdc

Thanks, the only useful voltage setting that you can change in this CC is the max charging voltage, I could set this to 14,4V.........14,7V max as the majority of the AGM batteries ask but that probably only means bulk charging, this CC has no settings for absorb or float voltages, let alone temp compensation.
                  The setpoint is where the controller transitions from Bulk to Absorb, Which is where the set voltage value will hold as the battery goes through absorb mode. Bulk is simply full throttle until the set voltage is met.

Comment

• wdc
                    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by littleharbor

The setpoint is where the controller transitions from Bulk to Absorb, Which is where the set voltage value will hold as the battery goes through absorb mode. Bulk is simply full throttle until the set voltage is met.
                    thanks, I wish my CC could be programmable with bulk, absorb and float voltages but is not, the only voltage I can set is the maximum, which I assume is the bulk voltage.

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

As I said, That setting is the absorb voltage. Bulk is full throttle UP TO the absorb voltage hold point. I haven't messed with those CC's but I'm surprised it doesn't have a float setting. According to this info taken from a sellers site it DOES have adjustable settings.
                      [="bgcolor: #FFFFFF, colspan: 4"]14.4V(Sealed) 14.2V(Gel) 14.6V(Flood)[/TD]
                      [/TR]
                      [TR]
                      Float charge[/TD]
                      ]13.7V(defaul,adjustable)[/TD]

*all red color voltage X2 ,while using 24V system.
                      Last edited by littleharbor; 04-22-2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

• wdc
                        • Jul 2019

that's the ONLY voltage adjustable, that 13,7V that they call "float charge", there's no other setting adjustable by the user, one can't set bulk nor absorb voltage.

as it turns out this cheap CC HAS a battery selector, b01 for SLA, b01 for Gel and b03 for FLA, I've always had it on b01 and I don't have a SLA battery, I have an FLA, so I should be using b03 instead. anyway, that setting only put a limit to the "equalization" voltage in the CC, 14,4 for SLA and 14,6 on FLA but who knows when the CC decides to "equalize" the battery. the information on this cheap CC is very lacking, to say the least.
                        Last edited by wdc; 04-22-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...