Can I use a 700 watt optimizer on 500w panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use a 700 watt optimizer on 500w panels

Hi all, I am doing a DIY... I have helped friends setup a couple DIY solar systems, and I am a Gen Contractor, so I picked up a Solar Edge GT inverter, and am looking at optimizers. I see the P700 is intended for 72 cell panels, some say using a larger optimizer on a lower panel will stress out the optimizer (FUD??), I would like to use P700 on 60 cell 250w panels, because I have tons of space on my ground mount and dont need to pay the premium for 300w panels -

Is it ok to series a pair of 250w on a single P700 optimizer?

Refer to the voltage specs of the 700 Watt optimizer to see if that voltage is acceptable. When you series two panels, you double the voltage. Essentially that would be like one 120 cell panel.
    Last edited by Ampster; 04-07-2020, 01:04 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Yes, I checked that, most of these higher watt optimizers are designed to run single or 2 in series, and series config is mentioned in their docs (hard to find a 700w panel?), it can go up to 125vdc, so I guess I will try it out and see how it does, and just assume its FUD that running it "too cool" on my low watt panels will "burn it out".

Comment

Working...
      X