Is Inverter life affected by frequent surge load (pressure pump)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machupichu
    replied
    Just found these specs...
    surge.JPG

Leave a comment:

• machupichu
    replied
    Originally posted by JSchnee21
    To answer the OP's question, I wouldn't expect the frequent cycling of a 450W load (even with the inrush current) to have any significant impact on a 10kW inverter -- assuming the battery bank and DC wiring are adequately sized. Presumably this wouldn't be any different than your refrigerator, freezer, washer, dryer, microwave, coffee maker, etc. cycling on and off throughout the day.

If the load was more like 20-40% of the inverter capacity, then I might be more concerned about insuring there was sufficient headroom to manage the inrush depending on the average %load on the inverter from other continuous loads.
    Actually the inverter is 3-phase with a 3300 watt/phase limit and the Pump is single phase. Is it still ok in your opinion?

Leave a comment:

• JSchnee21
    replied
    To answer the OP's question, I wouldn't expect the frequent cycling of a 450W load (even with the inrush current) to have any significant impact on a 10kW inverter -- assuming the battery bank and DC wiring are adequately sized. Presumably this wouldn't be any different than your refrigerator, freezer, washer, dryer, microwave, coffee maker, etc. cycling on and off throughout the day.

4 times per hour would be 96 times per day. I'm not sure what country the OP is in, but if the pump is 2 or 3 phase the concern would be even less (less current per phase, better load balance across phases). You could always ask the inverter MFG as well, but given such a small load with relatively infrequent cycling I don't see why it would be a concern.

If the load was more like 20-40% of the inverter capacity, then I might be more concerned about insuring there was sufficient headroom to manage the inrush depending on the average %load on the inverter from other continuous loads.

Leave a comment:

• SunEagle
    replied
    Originally posted by machupichu
    It's a hybrid inverter so connected with grid + batteries + solar. The problem is that the grid isn't reliable and often goes offline and the inverter goes into Solar + Battery mode. That's why we only have essential load on it and contemplating adding pressure pump.
    If you have an unreliable grid then maybe having an emergency generator as part of your system it a good idea. Besides if you have batteries and a faulty grid you will need to rely on a power source to keep the batteries happy and full. That is what a generator will provide.

Leave a comment:

• machupichu
    replied
    It's a hybrid inverter so connected with grid + batteries + solar. The problem is that the grid isn't reliable and often goes offline and the inverter goes into Solar + Battery mode. That's why we only have essential load on it and contemplating adding pressure pump.

Leave a comment:

• Mike90250
    replied
    A transformerless inverter runs off of what ? Doesn't it need the Grid to function ?

Leave a comment:

• Is Inverter life affected by frequent surge load (pressure pump)?

We have an ESPA pressure pump (450W) installed at the main water tank in our house. Anytime someone opens a tap or takes shower, it turns on automatically to boost water pressure. On any given day, it probably turns on/off 70-80 times.

Currently, its connected to the utility but whenever utility goes offline (load-shedding) we have difficulty taking showers since barely any water comes out of the showerhead. So, I'm thinking of switching it to our transformerless Voltronic Infini 10KW inverter, but concerned that frequent surge loads will negatively affect the life of the inverter. Am I being paranoid? Is it perfectly ok to switch it solar?
Working...