Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wpmaura
    • Dec 2019

Need help. Very new new to this

This is what I currently have. 4 12v 100a gel batteries, 6 270watt 30v 9amp panels. I really only would like to make sure that my fridge can run indefiantly or atleast during sunlight hours. fridge is rated for 606khw a year which I think is roughly 1600 watts a day

Now for the questions will these charge controlers and inverters work

if not can someone suggest what I would need to get them up and working. I am familiar with how to set pannels and batteries up in series and parrell but not much else. relatively new to all this
  • PNW_Steve
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Right off I would be concerned about the batteries. Gel batteries are great for standby applications not so much for solar that sees daily charge/discharge cycles.

That they are 12 volt batteries create a small issue configuring the bank. You have no options except 2S2P.. Four GC-2's (6v) in series will get you a 24v 200 a/h bank that will work better and cost less.

A great "starter" set of batteries would be four GC-2's from Sam's club or Costco. Last time I checked, Sam's had them for $86 each. Better to learn proper battery care and feeding on a less expensive set of batteries

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I see a few issues.

First with that CC is only rated for 40 amps but with 1620 watts of panel you will get more charging amps then it can handle. You may want to look into at least a 60amp or 80amp MPPT type for your 24v battery system

Second as PNW Steve stated, Gel batteries are really not a good choice for deep discharge with high cycles. Plus with them wired in parallel (2S2P) you run the risk of unevenly charging and discharging them which leads to one or more failing sooner then the rest.

Next. With a 1600wh daily load your battery system should be sized for about 4 times what you would use in a day. A 1600wh 24v battery is about 67Ah so that calculates to at least a 267Ah battery system. Yours is only 200Ah which is short and will discharge the batteries more than 25% on any given day or more on cloudy days.

Comment

• wpmaura
        • Dec 2019

You have to realize I need power and cant be picky it is what it is all I can really change at this point is inverter and charge controller

If I configure the the pannels into series and then parrelle, it would drop the amps to 27 right at 60volts? Is there a charge controller you recommend?

My primary concern is having the solar run this fridge during sunlight hours and switching to generator for a few hours at night before I shut it all down. Any product recomendations would be appreciated.

Comment

• wpmaura
          • Dec 2019

If I rig the batteries to 48v and get a 48v inverter does that help with things?

Comment

• wpmaura
            • Dec 2019

and with what I currently have your saying I wouldnt even be able to run fridge during cloudy days?

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by wpmaura
              You have to realize I need power and cant be picky it is what it is all I can really change at this point is inverter and charge controller

If I configure the the pannels into series and then parrelle, it would drop the amps to 27 right at 60volts? Is there a charge controller you recommend?

My primary concern is having the solar run this fridge during sunlight hours and switching to generator for a few hours at night before I shut it all down. Any product recomendations would be appreciated.
              An MPPT type CC usually has a pv wattage input maximum depending on the battery voltage. It really doesn't matter how you wire your panel because wattage in = wattage out.

So with 1620watts / 24v = 67.5 amps which is much higher then your CC is rated.

Depending on where you live you will eventually get some days without any sunlight. That is why you size your battery system to power your load for at least a few days if they don't get recharged. The more you discharge your batteries the higher the risk of killing them off sooner then expected.

A generator is a must with an off grid system so you can recharge your batteries after a couple of sunless days.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

If I rig the batteries to 48v and get a 48v inverter does that help with things?
                Again your CC must be rated in amps for the amount it will see charging a battery system. But 1620watts / 48v = 33.75amps so a 40amp CC would work but it must be able to charge a 48v battery system.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

and with what I currently have your saying I wouldnt even be able to run fridge during cloudy days?
                  You might be able to run your fridge a few times but your battery system will die off much quicker then their rating which means you will need more batteries.

Comment

• wpmaura
                    • Dec 2019

Well getting a 60amp Mott 48v charger and 48v 3000watt inverter. Just going to have to make this work. What's the best way to arrange panels. Take in mind I will just run off generator if need be. But burning about 30 dollars a day in fuel if I can get this system to cut this in half I happy. I wont be getting power for restored for months. And parts and material pita to get. Thanks for the help fyi I am in bahamas were we got flattened by dorian

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Well getting a 60amp Mott 48v charger and 48v 3000watt inverter. Just going to have to make this work. What's the best way to arrange panels. Take in mind I will just run off generator if need be. But burning about 30 dollars a day in fuel if I can get this system to cut this in half I happy. I wont be getting power for restored for months. And parts and material pita to get. Thanks for the help fyi I am in bahamas were we got flattened by dorian
                      I could guess but I would need the specifications of your panels including the Vmp, Voc, Imp as well as the specs on your CC.

Without that information all I can say is to wire the panels so that the max input voltage to the CC is not exceeded as well as the max panel wattage to charge a 24V battery system.

Comment

Working...