Sizing AC disconnect switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing AC disconnect switch

Advise please on sizing ac AC disconnect switch for my Delta H-6 Hybrid Inverter. I'm thinking a 240 Volt, 50 Amp switch will work. Can I get some input on this please.

My jurisdiction has allowed the circuit breaker on the service panel to be the AC disconnect with appropriate labels. Does your permit specify a separate AC disconnect? The switch rating should equal or exceed the breaker feeding the inverter.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

The permit specifies nothing, maybe I can get away with that. The people at city planning knew nothing about solar panels.

Comment

I just thought of something. I was doing the PG&E application on their web site and it ask for AC shut off panel information. If you leave it blank, it says it's a required field. Should I just list my breaker box?

Comment

Originally posted by Iamsteve View Post
          I just thought of something. I was doing the PG&E application on their web site and it ask for AC shut off panel information. If you leave it blank, it says it's a required field. Should I just list my breaker box?
          Give it a try. As far as I remember PG & E didn't make a physical inspection. Even if they did, I suspect all they would care about is the certification and capacity of the equipment. They don't have any authority beyond the above issue for anything else behind the meter.
          Last edited by Ampster; 11-16-2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Disconnects can be bigger then needed. So if say you have a 7.3k array that would be 30 amps but you can put in a 60 amp disconnect. You just have to be aware of wire size, some disconnect wont accept to small of wire.

Comment

Thanks Ampster and Boston again.

Comment

My power company insists on a disconnect switch near the meter so the power company can switch off and lock out the solar source when they do maintenance. The fire department also likes having this. I used a 60A air conditioner disconnect switch Square D Qo200TRCP, $13.45 at Home Depot. The only limitation of this device is that it is relatively small, and took some creativity to add all of the required caution stickers, as shown in the photo below.
                disconnect.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. In many places, a licensed electrician is required for any electrical work.
                7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
                  Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. In many places, a licensed electrician is required for any electrical work.
                  In many other places a homeowner can pull a permit.

Comment

The city of Poway, CA inspector, blessed our install back in April. Our installer used a 30A 240V AC Disconnect. Our system is a 4.02kW (12 335W panels) feeding a SolarEdge invertor (SE3800) if that level of detail helps.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCullip View Post
                      The city of Poway, CA inspector, blessed our install back in April. Our installer used a 30A 240V AC Disconnect. Our system is a 4.02kW (12 335W panels) feeding a SolarEdge invertor (SE3800) if that level of detail helps.
                      Mine is 60A-240v it gives you room to grow

Comment

Originally posted by Iamsteve View Post
                        Advise please on sizing ac AC disconnect switch for my Delta H-6 Hybrid Inverter. I'm thinking a 240 Volt, 50 Amp switch will work. Can I get some input on this please.
                        Utilities often like a "visual disconnect" which usually means they can physically see the broken circuit.. But in my case they just wanted a normal safety cutoff switch with a handle they could visually see was in the on or off position and that they could lock out in the off position. I chose a Stainless version, just because I hate rusty electrical boxes... But the painted steel cutoffs are under 40 bucks online. Mine is 60A AC/DC I use 50A wire and breakers on both ends of the line, but my system is only 5.2kw right now.

2019-11-03_15-49-13.JPG

Comment

Working...
                        X