Rust on Unirac Stainless Steel Mid-Clamps. What's going on here?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neweclipse
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

How do you know what every component was comprised of in the mid-clamp assembly used by the installer?

Your magnet test results mean little as to whether any parts truly are or are not made of SS. It is still possible that in fact you have some number of pieces being plated steel.
    Staining and oxidizing are two different reactions, don't use them interchangeably. Yes, oxidizing can bleed over and then be a stain. But a stain does not necessarily show that the stained surface has oxidized, only that the oxidation has flowed over from another adjacent piece or source.
    An assembled visual examination is just, superficial visual exam. Remove/Take a likely stained candidate mid-clamp assembly apart for a better exam...send one assembly away to UNIRAC...have them test yours, not theirs.

Comment

• oregon_phil
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2019

So I spoke with Unirac today who stated that everything from the clamp itself to the bolt/nut are either 302 or 304 stainless steel. They said this shouldn't happen after just 3 months and are trying to replicate the issue.
      Their published spec also allows 301 SS and 300 SS in some parts (unless I pulled the wrong spec, the wrong spec is published or the Unirac rep was incorrect).

You are getting a lot of good information in this forum. Did you send them a picture of the issue? Whenever two people hear the same thing (rust), they think from their perspective. The unirac guy might be thinking of massive rust flaking off the clamps. You never know.

If unirac says it shouldn't be happening and it is happening on your system, it's time to get your installer involved. Like others have said, it's your system that is showing the fault. Why try to replicate this in the lab when you have a real time, real world example? That's what Unirac should be studying. They should send a technical rep out to see your system if it is in fact that unique. Make sure you write down names, dates and what was discussed with each party whenever you talk about this problem. Memories can be deceiving.

Comment

• SunNewb105
        • Mar 2019

Originally posted by oregon_phil

Their published spec also allows 301 SS and 300 SS in some parts (unless I pulled the wrong spec, the wrong spec is published or the Unirac rep was incorrect).

You are getting a lot of good information in this forum. Did you send them a picture of the issue? Whenever two people hear the same thing (rust), they think from their perspective. The unirac guy might be thinking of massive rust flaking off the clamps. You never know.

If unirac says it shouldn't be happening and it is happening on your system, it's time to get your installer involved. Like others have said, it's your system that is showing the fault. Why try to replicate this in the lab when you have a real time, real world example? That's what Unirac should be studying. They should send a technical rep out to see your system if it is in fact that unique. Make sure you write down names, dates and what was discussed with each party whenever you talk about this problem. Memories can be deceiving.
        They are aware of the problem and have these exact pictures. I have a paper trail of emails as well. The installer has also been made aware and said they would make it right. Now we are just waiting on Unirac to respond. They said their team is evaluating the pictures.

Comment

• oregon_phil
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2019

Perfect. It looks like you are on the right path.

Comment

• SunNewb105
            • Mar 2019

So Unirac is sending out brand new clamps but I must say I am somewhat skeptical that they won't do the same thing if I have 36 of them that rusted on me...

Comment

• oregon_phil
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2019

Be skeptical to keep them honest. You have 36/36 that show signs of rust. Are they sending out all new hardware (bolts, nuts, etc), or just the clamps? I noticed in your original photos that the nuts look kinda beat up. Why are they beat up?

The Unirac spec says torque to 10 ft lbs (at least the one I pulled from the web). Impact drivers can impart way more than 10 ft lbs. I'm thinking that nobody uses a torque wrench during install since that takes more time and effort (Except for people on this forum. I can see a lot of people on this forum doing it properly with a torque wrench...)

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Also, when installing SS hardware, you should use "anti-gall" or "anti-size" lube on each threaded fitting. SS is very prone to galling and binding up.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...